Agnostic.com

14 11

Do you love growing flowers in pots?

Each summer, I grow flowers on my deck. Colorful flowers are uplifting and beautiful! I chose vibrant colors this year.

Upon planting in mid-May, I hard-pruned the ivy geraniums, cutting off the main growth tip.

At first the plants sulked, standing still. Then it occurred to me they need fertilizer. I watered with half-strength Miracle Grow once per week.

The geraniums branched out, quadrupling the number of flowers. TA DA!

LiterateHiker 9 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love all kinds of coleus because it is so colorful and can be used in almost any kind of plant bed or potted arrangement. It rained last night, and I took this picture about 6 AM.

MikeEC Level 7 June 29, 2018

No, l like to grow pot in my flowers. ?

My mother grew red geraniums in wooden boxes outdoors. My mother's cousin Marylane, a professional artist who lives in England, did a large oil painting of mom's red geraniums, accented with a white rose.

At age 12, one afternoon I watched Marylane arrange Mom's flowers on a table, and quickly paint them. The painting hangs in my bedroom.

Marylane Barfield was the first American and first woman to be elected president of the British Royal Society of Fine Artists.

The white rose is the focal point of the painting. I didn't get the right camera angle. Will try again tomorrow.

Earlier this year.

@Gatovgicolo
Gorgeous!

@LiterateHiker
Thanks

I've been known for growing the most beautiful of indica's, sativa's and learning the science of hybrids without chemicals

Qiru Level 6 June 28, 2018

I love growing, had geraniums and nasturtiums in planters & 23 roses I started when I was in grade school. Had a raised bed vegetable garden when I was married....

What a creative and beautiful arrangement!

MikeEC Level 7 June 28, 2018

@MikeEC
Thank you!

I am not a gardener and do not have a green thumb, but I love flowers and especially wild flowers. My favorite part of Spring is the profusion of wildflowers where I live here in central Texas.

I prefer pots over planting in the ground. Easier to take care of.

When I was taking birth control pills in the 1970s I accidentally discovered that adding a crushed birth control pill to the water before I watered the plants made them all burst into bloom..even out of season!

Gorgeous! I have been into raised beds. Herbs and annuals are fun.

I don't have time for this. I work so hard that it's extremely difficult to find time to even think about it. And I, as I understand it, at least basic knowledge is needed here. Therefore, I order flowers here nearby, in one store, Mississauga flower delivery service. The catalogue contains many variations of luxurious floral arrangements. I already know what I will get in the end, not just hoping that the flower will grow the way I want it to. In addition, there is the help of a consultant.

give me the good earth

I planted some seeds -mixed- in a pot (last May). So far, I only got leaves...all kinds of them.

Last year I placed in water an avocado seed. After two months it started to grow roots...very fast. I placed the seed in dirt and it began to grow even faster. One month later it was two feet tall....I gave the pot to a friend and she planted it on the ground. Today, is on its way to become a nice avocado tree. Ten feet tall and getting fatter.

@Bendog
Don't give up. Chick plants are succulents that reproduce easily. Here's a link with tips to propagate hens and chicks:

[youngsgardenshop.com]

@Bendog Why you don't try planting snails? I know, they will take a long time to reach the pot's border.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:118011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.