Agnostic.com

29 4

Why can't Americans disagree respectfully?

Why do Americans resort to name calling, rather than civil discussions when discussing politics?

GoodMan 7 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most of this comes down to our educational system and the simple fact that during our formative years we are not taught to debate, think critically, and definitely not taught to question authority and think for ourselves.

your teachers are treated shabbily by your elected officials to the point of third world countries with higher literacy rates

Many political discussions in the United States go nowhere in terms of results. Often, the only way to see real change is to be loud about it. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, ya know? Like, our country ended slavery in the 1800s, but we still have racial discrimination in our police force. Our government does very little to represent the needs of the people and the election institutions provide little opportunity for change. First past the post fucking sucks. So many votes are just wasted in our elections. I wish we had parliamentary representation.

Great explanation, and I agree 🙂

proportional representation you mean. Parliamentary is still first past post rubbish. Germany and Australia have prop..

I don't care what others believe, as long as they do not interfere with my rights. Religious people and Trump supporters want me to adhere to their standards. They won't allow their god to simply punish me in hell, no they want me to suffer now. My freedoms and my opinions, remind them of their own desires and doubts, which they fear challenges their bid for immortality. Religion and conservatism, is a system of control, not only for their own lives, but for the lives of others. Don't marry the same sex, don't have an abortion, don't eat pork, whatever it is, but that is not good enough for them.

I'm not sure it's just an American thing. I think most people have an issue with listening, considering someone else's perspectives and then discussing something rationally. Here's a perfect example. I won't name names but there is another member here who views Trump as a great president, and he's perfectly entitled to that belief. However, whenever he says something like Trump is fixing America, I instantly think "This guy is an idiot" My first instinct is I hate this guy because he's supporting a guy I can't stand. Mind closed, I've made up my mind and there's nothing left to talk about. My reaction should be, is it possible this guy has information I lack? Let me talk to him and see if I value his opinion. Instead of doing that I get pissed. I try my best to fight that closed-mindedness but I fail frequently. It's my desire to do better in the future.

Right, my phrasing is hostile, but that furthers my point. I allow my emotions to overtake my ability to consider things rationally.

I totally agree. I also look back at some of the conversations I have with people and thought I could have listened more or been more open minded. I try to not be so staunchly firm on my positions. I try to be open to see thing things from other views even if it is to agree to disagree

I have the exact same reaction.

When you have ideology, or religion, or politics, or other deeply held beliefs which define your existence and your concept of “truth”, conflicts with this central belief are not just upsetting, they create an existential crisis. When science conflicts with your ideology, it conflicts with who you are as person, how you believe you should live your life, what you’ve been raised to believe.

The internet, in my view, has become the place responsible for why civil discussion on any subject, not just politics, goes to die. This in turn has allowed that rhetoric to spread to the physical world, which is what has been demonstrated in places like Berkeley and Charlottesville. People do the following things: hide behinds their screens and make comments (I have been guilty of this myself) that can be unabashedly crude without consequences, follow alternative news personalities who fit the views they hold who can spout extremist rhetoric (Alex Jones on the right; TYT on the left), and meme culture in which a picture can grab someone's attention even if the caption on it in question is false in the info it presents.

But I believe Trump supporters are the most extreme in their name calling and defense of their "god emperor", his allies, and policies in a way that Obama and Bush supporters were not. Political figures have in general become also deities to some of these people. If we can just step away from our computers once in a while, maybe civil face to face debates can make a comeback.

It seems to a large extent America is an immature country containing lots of immature people

Agreed

I find that people begin the name calling when they have lost a debate.

I do admit to name calling. I never call him by his name or refer to him as the president. He is and always will be the Orange Nazi to me. Since those with principles, concerned with human rights, protecting the planet, and having peace with the rest of the world, lost the election, I express my fears and frustration by name calling. But I do speak rationally and address the issues with thought and research, therefore balancing out my mockery.

Because they turn political issues into moral issues and vice versa.

In a nutshell, that is the problem.

I have been wondering this for awhile now. What is with people and the my way or the highway attitude. Being an army brat I was raised around so much diversity and when we moved back to my parents hometown to retire in a small town i experienced this phenomenon for the first time. Now that attitude seems to be running rampant everywhere.

I think that some groups also seem to be exclusive. If you don't let others out side the group join they don't learn new things and feel ostracized, judged, resentful. To me if it is totally exclusive it feels more like a hate group. Like Christians joining this group. I feel why not unless they are doing it maliciously. anyone doing anything maliciously needs to be dealt with.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 10, 2017

Because most Americans treat their views like a religion, no room for doubt. I knew people who talked of armed rebellion when Obama got elected for his second term. If you know a young person who is right wing more than likely his parents are as well.

I think that people have lost the art of the debate, now they simply argue and arguing results in emotional responses.
I recall discussing the observation my father, brother and myself made about twenty or so years ago that Americans seemed to start trying to talk over each other while discussing an issue making the discussion not understandable to the observer. Since then this phenomena has got a lot worse and spread to other nations. Seems like polite discussion is almost dead, it certainly is online.
Did the internet cause this, I do not know but it seems to coincide with its rise in popularity and use.

I'm convinced it's because the person lacks respect for the person asking the question. This is probably due to the belief that they know better and belittling the question and the questioner is more appropos because the questioner is not worthy of a learned response. It only shows that the responder is probably incapable of civil discourse due to immaturity, bad manners or just plain ignorance being masked by a superiority mask. This type of person is a time waster and hindrance to intelligent discussion and is probably just looking to disrupt the discussion for personal enjoyment.

SamL Level 7 Oct 10, 2017

Because the political extreme demands that there be an all or nothing type idea. Even as a libertarian who would love to see the minimal amount of government possible, that such idea of all or nothing leads to more trouble. The Progressives and the Alt-right are such groups in which wants the absolute all or nothing. Saw it with Obamacare and you are seeing it a lot more on college campuses and other "protests".

depends on what you're talking about. for example, marginalized groups are often ask why we can't "disagree respectfully" while people are "politely" saying we shouldn't exist or that we're criminals just for existing. just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean we should all have to respect it as equally valid to all others.

Because dragging discussion to a gutter level allows "winning" it through ad personam attack and appealing to cheap emotional "arguments". So it makes controlling people very very easy. Divisive propaganda is as American as apple pie. And concept of "intellectual honesty" is virtually unknown - all that matters is "winning" not pursuit of objective truth.

Is it because of talk radio?

Is it because Newt Gingrich in the 1990s taught his Republican disciples to characterize their opponents using words like "sick", "pathetic", and "traitor" to help win elections, and the discourse has gone downhill from there?

Is it because pop culture is built on sound bite news and shows like Jerry Springer, where the audience actively encourages the guests to fight and throw furniture at each other?

Is it simply because we're a nation of arrogant jerkasses?

Is it all of the above?

(Correct answer: E. All of the above.)

for the most part they do . stop watching tv

Because of Parental Up Bringing. Which is to accept things "Subjectively", rather than "Objectively" "Don't Ask for Proof" or for which gives more detail into any differences. It's always been the idea certain ways have to dominate other ways.

Yep What we learned from our parents in our formative years so much molds what we think and do until we move out of the nest and start stretching our wings, see new things, go new places, start thinking for ourselves, seeking and/or absorbing information that broadens our awareness and understanding. I thought everyone went to church, even though anyone who didn't attend THE Church of Christ, was not truly a Christian... until I began to began to broaden my perspectives.

It's a human failing, not an American one.

I've often pondered this question, but couldn't come up with a reasonable conclusion.

Because there are no more debate clubs in American school.

Many can. It doesn't make the news. I have many christian friends and friends who aare Trump supporters. We agree to disagree, although I usually change the subject when a friend starts talking about "Make America Great Again".

"Well, they started it first." That's one of the reasons.

believe it or not, most still do! you just do not hear about it.

mzee Level 7 Oct 22, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.