Agnostic.com

5 1

Seven questions

Questions that occur to me in philosophy; formal mathematical proof is preferred in answer, but natural language exploration of the issues raised can also be fun... ????

Question 1.)
Demonstrate and provide proof of the existence of objective reality. Bonus points: disprove the simulation hypothesis.

Question 2.)
Disprove solipsism. The universe you observe is not a figment of your imagination.

Question 3.)
Disprove the existence of the supernatural, and any and every deity. Bonus points: illustrate by example what you would consider experimentally necessary to prove the existence of a deity or alternatively of a pantheon of deities, gods and spirits.
Extra bonus points: describe what a universe like this might look like or feel like to live in.

Question 4.)
Demonstrate a basis for ethics and morality which is not dependent on divine revelation. Justify your argument.

Question 5.)
Disprove moral relativism; the concept that there are not or could not be any moral or ethical absolutes, that everything is just what happens and it's the time and place where you happen to view it from that shades your view.

Question 6.)
Define and describe consciousness, personhood, sentience, and souls. Bonus points for good answers in each of the four categories.

Question 7.)
What is the resolution to the Fermi paradox? Where are the aliens, and why can we not see evidence of other technic civilisations across the galaxy?

That last one no-one seems to have any kind of answer for yet except wild speculations, but the more humanity learns and grows the more peculiar and puzzling that seems to get.

mercurymerlin 4 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is this just for fun or is there something serious going on here? I think it would be interesting to give answering these a try I just want to know if I need to be serious or if I can have some fun with them.

Can't say I'm particularly impressed with simply being handed repeats of links to Samuel Johnson.

The second response a bit better, at least trying and I follow some of the logic even if I don't necessarily agree - that way of thinking leaves the universe a cold and heartless place where nothing ever counts. That is one perspective, but it is not the only way to look at it.

That Earth might be a nature preserve and we are being subjected to some kind of non-inteference directive is one possible answer to the Fermi paradox; but it seems thin because the way we're currently developing means we're likely to break out of any possible box or fenced area sooner or later; and at that point we'd cease to be entertaining primitives to watch and chuckle at, and become a threat.

Q7 is the only one I currently can't make any sense of; all of the first six I can have a fair crack at even if some of my answers are incomplete or contradictory.

I certainly don't apologize for asking the questions or thinking this way, or for anything else.

I'll take cold and heartless over obviously delusional. Remember Darwin's distaste for his own depiction of nature surviving by 'tooth and claw"; and remember Sam Harris's summation: "“Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick,"

Disagreements should be stated and defended. This is a discussion.

We are untold millennia behind our Keepers (technologically, biologically, psychologically, etc.). There is no catching up. The Keepers are surely quite different from the actual Visitors. What sort of civilization is indifferent to Time?

@racocn8

WTF? Keepers and Visitors, who is delusional here between us?

Goodbye.

1. See Bishop Berkeley/Samuel Johnson [samueljohnson.com]

2. See Bishop Berkeley/Samuel Johnson [samueljohnson.com]

3. See Bishop Berkeley/Samuel Johnson [samueljohnson.com]
    Berkeley's familiar would have intervened to protect his argument

4. See Bishop Berkeley/Samuel Johnson [samueljohnson.com]
    Johnson was intervening for Berkeley in order that he didn't make a fool of himself to the wider public.

5. See Bishop Berkeley/Samuel Johnson [samueljohnson.com]
    Johnson could have allowed Berkeley to continue his argument which Johnson has demonstrated to be foundless and so appear ridiculous in polite society.

6. See Bishop Berkeley/Samuel Johnson [samueljohnson.com]
    Johnson is aware of all four as demonstrated. 1-3 having the awareness that Berkeley was heading down a blind alley. 4 by acknowledging that Berkeley's belief in divinity would be challenged and so his soul in danger of purgatory

7. See Bishop Berkeley/Samuel Johnson [samueljohnson.com]
    There is no need or requirement for such a paradox to be considered as it presents no immediate solution to the question of personal existence

Paradoxes are paradoxes for a reason. Logic tangles often derive from self-referencing statements. (Re your intro: coy<>cute)
1/One. One cannot demonstrate an objective anything to a subjective perspective.
2/Two. The perceived universe is indeed an hallucination.
3/Three. Non-existing entities cannot generate evidence evidence, much less proof, of their existence or non-existence. That is why the burden of proof rests with the claimant.
4/Four. Ethics/morality are physiologically based and then rationalized. Perceptions of fairness and subsequent responses are encoded in DNA and expressed as memory RNA in the nervous system (i.e. instinctual).
5/Five. Moral Relativism is correct. Perceived Fairness is physiological, and does vary accordingly. Not everything that is true is also universally nice.
Six a through d:
6a. consciousness = legalistic arbitrary speciesist jargon, referenced by legal rights given to an arbitrary subset of humans, cerebral neuronal activity generating the hallucination of self.
6b. personhood = legalistic arbitrary speciesist jargon, referenced by legal rights given to an arbitrary subset of humans in 20-21st century.
6c. sentience = sensory nervous impulses
6d. souls = reincarnated unicorns. i.e. an imaginary term referenced as incorporeal personality other than body-based personality.
7/Seven. (...other...?) One cannot teach the blind to see. Aliens don't use our 'technology' and we don't know what to look for. Aliens are here. We are a nature preserve. In fact, the Fermi Paradox was answered long ago, but the military-industrial-intelligence complex has a don't ask-don't tell policy.

At least a response, better than just giving Samuel Johnson links.

Not sure I would want to live in your universe though. Doesn't sound like a pleasant place.

Why 7?

Good one! I actually was worried that this was an exam and I might flunk out.

I like 7? And I ran out of questions after that.

Originally I had 6, and then I remembered the Fermi paradox which remains unanswered and fits in a way with some of the other questions.

@mercurymerlin those are not bad questions, it's just too much work for one posting. What if it is break down in single question, get feedback, establish conclusions and then move on to the next. Just a thought....

@IamNobody

Yes I was thinking it is too much all in one post, too much to get to grips with all at once. So perhaps I might try posting them at a later date or in another way, one at a time?

There are some common threads across the questions though, and what kind of answer you give to one might change other answers. Also I was thinking perhaps some different style of presentation might communicate better, I don't mind the exam-style thing which I was playing with here, but it could seem a bit aggressive and as if there are implied set answers to be marked out of 10.

Whereas my intention is to ask open questions, I feel there are quite a few possible wrong answers but maybe no clear right answer to several of them; I can see possible partial answers to some of them but it depends which direction I look from perhaps.

Q7 the Fermi paradox I really struggle with; the best I can see is possible ways to get further towards beginning to search for answers, but I'm sad this might not be in my lifetime that we make any real progress.

@mercurymerlin if you break it down to single questions then you will be surprised on the broad type of answers you would get. You will still have to weed out the not so serious, funny, ironic or even mocking type of responses. Then, on the good side of the fence you may get feedback that will make you go -"mmmhhh, I didn't see this one coming!!".... Anyhow, Fermi's thought is called a paradox for a reason and it will stay unsolved until another civilization existance is confirmed beyond any doubt.... In any case, it would be even more interesting to find out if he really established the premises of his paradox as "lack of evidence vs high probability". He was a serious formal physicist with a broad knowledge of probability. Did he really meant "high" probability or his words have been embellished along the way for dramatical purposes? The probability does exists, therefore the paradox but we have to wonder how high is high?

@IamNobody

I might try that, rephrase and post separately one at a time, and see what results.

I'm not a big fan of "mocking" responses, that seems gratuitous even if I'm being dumb or attention-seeking. No need for it; anything else is fair game but respond to someone with random snark?

Fermi's question was semi-serious I suspect, it is a solid question though which we only have guesses about so far, but is puzzling. If we do discover any form of life similar to ours, water-carbon based or even chemosynthetic, on Mars or Europa or anywhere, we might start to have more than a sample of 1 as to possible life.

Until then... It is the only question which makes me wonder if we could be in a simulation, because in that circumstance we might be the only instance of technic civilization. But, that contradicts other things we observe, or it looks like it does.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:119120
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.