Agnostic.com

18 2

Do you ever miss the community that church provided?

I live in the deep south, where almost everyone is a christian. Being a single dad with two kids makes it difficult to meet like-minded people in my area. Unfortunately, the local atheist group doesn't meet that often. I guess that's why attending a local church is very tempting. Have any of you felt the same?

mellowretro 3 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely I've been feeling like I lack purpose or detection without the constant confirmation from peers and a good telling me what to do

Ive never felt a sense of community at church because i have nothing in common with those people. But i don't think a need for social interaction outweighs the need to stay away from theologians.

No, there’s more real communities out there to enjoy

Having been raised in a very tight-knit faith community, the sense of ‘belonging’ is strong, and seemingly impossible to overcome. We kids did everything together: church, school (run by the church) and all extracurricular activities. It wasn’t until I was a teenager that I made my first friend with a person outside of my faith.

And yet I eventually came to the realization that my religion had simply co-opted a natural human need, and that I didn’t need all the hand waving and empty promises to belong. The deepest, most meaningful and emotionally intimate bonds I have formed are with fellow apostates (i.e., those who, like me, once believed but have 'left the church'.) Only those who have walked away from an oppressive cult-like following can fully understand what it is like to be, from the perspective of the believer, a ‘lost soul.’

My advice, if I may, is to find and befriend fellow 'former members.' Of such folk the community of the future is built.

I rarely ever went to church and never as an adult. I guess, I don't miss it.

JimG Level 8 July 4, 2018

No, I haven't severed my relationship with the church I grew up in. My church was awesome, I just so happen to not believe in God anymore. I sometimes go to the Wednesday prayer dinners to stay in touch with the church family. They know I'm atheist and it doesn't bother them. Even though my sister is also atheist she still sends her kids to the church and volunteers. You can be apart of a community without sharing all there values and beliefs.

That's good that you still have a relationship with them and can enjoy community. I sometimes wish I could have the same situation.

NO ! Don't get so lonely, isolated, alone that you resort to attending church ! LOL
Try taking the lead of the existing Atheist group and encourage/organize more frequent get-togethers.

Community? As soon as the service ended, the interesting-looking people were always out the door and away as fast as their legs could carry them.

Oh, and I've never really known a church family. When I explored religion I went to a diff church each week so as to learn as much as possible. None of them made me want to stay.

I had a similar experience.

Hey u look familiar ! But I've worked just about everywhere so that's not surprising. I didnt know augusta had an atheist group that ever actually met up though. Its not in the UU building is it ?

Hi Amy. We've probably seen each other somewhere since we live in the same town. The athesist group I'm referring to is the CSRA Non-Theist Group. Here's their facebook page www.facebook.com/groups/CSRANT/. I ike some of the people in the group, but they only meet about once a month. Since I have kids, I'm rarely able to make it to the meet ups. Do you and your wife meet up with any like-minded people?

@mellowretro thanks I just sent a request to go the group. We r not in any meet up groups right now because I never could find then n augusta. The closest one that applied to us was a vegan group in Columbia. Has the augusta non theist group been around long ?

@Amyreneeferox Yes. It's been in existence for several years. Maybe I'll see you at a meet up one day.

No.

I have never belonged to such a community so have no experience of it, however I still know what you mean. One can start off one's own community amongst neighbours, friends and like minded people. It takes time but it is doable. Open up your home to others and you will soon have a community.

I may have to do exactly that. Thank you for your idea.

@mellowretro Good luck. I have made many friends just by having a movie afternoon on Sundays at my place. The old friends brought new friends.

No! Not ever! Never! I am very particular with whom l associate.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Even though I no longer believe in any supernatural entity that requires worship, I sometimes think about the benefits that come of the community that centers around such religious organization. It’s possible that there are benefits to a society to not be completely atheist unless the things that bring benefits to religious communities can be properly replicated. I would have a hard time joining a church at this point but sites like MeetUp.com and others allow the ability to find local groups of like-minded people to engage in a variety of activities including community involvement. You might want to check into those if you haven’t already.

Thank you. That's a good idea.

No. I found different communities to be part of that aren't judgemental brainwashed assholes

Like my local 'steps to end poverty' group, my taekwando dojang, and this one

@LadyAlyxandrea Hopefully I can find groups like that near me as well.

Yes, I was kind of sad to learn the truth, and in good conscience i can't attend a church.

gater Level 7 June 30, 2018

I feel the same way most of the time. But there are days when the desire to make friends is so strong that I consider attending church. So far, I've managed to resist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:119162
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.