Agnostic.com

14 0

Are machines capable of experience?

Could a future silicon based brain or other brain resembling computer architecture harbour any kind of inner life? Consciousness? What are your thoughts?

Johnny_97 3 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All things material/physical, manmade or otherwise have the ability to absorb vibrations and retain a memory of that event. we do it with our 5 senses and dare I say it, our 6th, 7th ect, I am of the opinion that there is the order of things beyond our understanding .........so far, who knows what the future will hold, work in progress.

Learning yes. Simulated thought, definitely. Feeling, I doubt it. Consciousness, perhaps. I think we don't understand what these things are in humans very well, so it is difficult to engineer the equivalent in a machine.

Time and time again, there have been people to make statements to say that humans are "special", from other animals. IE:
Only humans use tools.
Only humans have language.
Only humans can use logic.
All of these have been proven wrong. While other animals are not as sophisticated as a human in these attributes, they still exist.

Now we have people posing the same questions about computers. People are desperate to prove how special we are. Dumb asses, the Earth is not the center of the universe. Get over it already. We are just biological machines. And "artificial" machines can, and probably will, become as smart, if not smarter than us.

@Johnny_97 You don't understand. Humans are conscious. The question is whether or not a machine can be. My point is, people's knee jerk reaction is that a machine cannot. The reason some people say this, is based on a bias that human consciousness is something that makes us special, that a machine cannot do. My point, is that is not true. We are not that "special" and there is no evidence to suggest that a machine cannot achieve a state of consciousness, other to say it has not happened yet. That is not proof they cannot. That's like saying in 1900, that man can never fly, because he has yet to. And some did say that at the time.

Yes, they are doing that today. Experience is just the "memory of" or "learning from", real-time events. There are computer programs that are deliberately made for an AI system to learn by trial and error. That is one form of experience. That's not as sophisticated as a conscious person's way of experiencing things, but it's the same idea.

@Johnny_97 What is "inner experience"? As I said elsewhere. We are nothing special. Like having a "soul", you are making up unattainable attributes, than only a human (of if I understand you, also some animals) can attain. And I'm saying that a machine CAN reach such attributes.

@Johnny_97 and the difference between a "particle" and a synapse is?

All l know is sometimes this phone does whatever the fuck it wants!

No. Consciousness is the result of biological evolution. It has to be the result of something that helps the genes of our species to replicate. In regards to AI, you simply don't need to replicate consciousness. The goal is to someday create a machine that , when you interact with it, you will not be able to distinguish whether or not it is human. Of course, this machine will be able to accomplish tasks that our brains are not capable of.

@Johnny_97, @PraiseXenu You guys have sent me down a real rabbit hole. 🙂

The brain has 3 functions: Reptilian, Subconscious, and Conscious functions. These functions evolved in chronological order. With evolution, you go from reptiles on to simple vertebrates and eventually the complex humans today. I think this process was nature’s way of dealing with the increasing complexity of nervous systems. As a result, on one hand you have a true marvel of nature (the brain), but on the other hand, you have brain that is susceptible to superstition, tribal behavior and can be easily confused.

So, my point is that if you building an artificial intelligence, you would don't need to replicate what nature create. First, it adds enormous complexity to the engineer. Second, it is not necessary.

Eventually it will happen but it's not that simple. We will still have to fully understand what consciousness really is....best to my knowledge we are not there yet

I would think only a machine could answer that.

Experience and consciousness are two different things. Current neural nets already learn through experience, but they are not conscious.

The biggest barrier to conscious AI at the moment is that there is no definitive understanding of the boundaries of consciousness... Scientific discourse here drifts into philosophy.

@Johnny_97 well it's a good question, but how is a "mind" changing in response to the things it encounters in it's lifetime not experience? Perhaps it's a semantic difference.

It's all relative. Any consciousness experienced by a machine would be defined by the machine.

It wouldn't compare with living, flesh and blood consciousness. So in a way, the question is meaningless.

@Johnny_97

I see what you mean.

I really don't know. The problems start when trying to define consciousness. Is it awareness? And what is that even?

I think consciousness is a by-product of being an organic, living, breathing thing. The energy aspect might be part of it.

Tough question, as someone who worked in IT for some years this has been in my mind before. I think it would take a lot of learning the way Watson at IBM is doing it. I don't believe humans can program consciousness into a computer though.

Yes

Yes.

I see no reason why they couldn't. If silicon minds keep growing to the point where they self replicate and their intelligence grows exponentially they will be smarter than us soon and why would they not acquire consciousness?

gearl Level 8 July 1, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:119535
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.