Agnostic.com

7 1

Who Said There Are No Atteists In Foxholes?

Gatovicolo 8 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My favorite was a documentary on the Battle of the Bulge where the truth came out. A man was telling about being in a small shelter with other soldiers, waiting for a German assault, when one soldier began reciting the Lord's Prayer out loud. The Lieutenant said, " Hey! Keep that to yourself, you're making everyone nervous!"

This is an oft quoted myth. Atheists do not pray to God on their deathbeds.

See 'The Portable Atheist' by Christopher Hitchens. Especially see page 46-49 which is James Boswell's account of his 'interview' with David Hume on the latter's deathbed.

It was a position taken by the military's (probably world-wide). FFRF continues to do battle with our military to keep religion out of the armed forces. When one feels they have a god on their side they are will to risk their lives for things they normally would otherwise question. When one feels they are mortal and there is no after-life they think twice before sticking their neck out.

I think that came about because in periods of extreme stress we're likely to invoke a deity. It is irrational and the "believers" take it to believe we all recognize the deity, that our subconscious recognizes the deity. I believe we're just trained that way. Last winter I was in a slide on ice and trying to avoid the car in front of me. I was swearing in German which is not my native language. When my kids were little I'd swear in German because they didn't understand it and if they did repeat it no one else would understand it.

why would any religious people need to hide or duck if what they believe is true?

I suppose when your life is at risk anything can come out of your mouth lol!

I was in foxholes. I never prayed for my salvation.

A politician pandering to his inbred purty mouthed base.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12045
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.