Agnostic.com

7 2

QUESTION Nobody is laughing at the Religious Left in 2017 – ThinkProgress

Falwell and Jeffress also supported Trump’s deeply controversial comments after a person protesting white supremacists was killed and several others wounded in Charlottesville, Virginia in August. Many were outraged after Trump blamed “both sides” for the violence, but his evangelical supporters stood by him: Falwell called Trump’s remarks “bold” and “truthful,” Jeffress blamed the media for misrepresenting his comments, and Graham cast aspersions on local politicians instead of the president.

Their position set up a dramatic contrast between Trump’s faith advisers and progressive faith activists, the latter of which were present in Charlottesville during the unrest. They preached against racism and defiantly stared down white supremacists throughout the chaos, a story that was eventually captured as part of a CBS documentary entitled “Faith on the Frontlines.” Coverage of Trump’s faith advisers “sticking by him” was often less flattering.

zblaze 7 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh, and yes, the religious left is a huge force in this country. I have some of these in my family - super religious yet also ultra-lefty SJW types (irrationality demonstrated on two fronts). Don't forget that more than 90% of black folks vote for Democrats, and the vast majority of them are still Christians.

Well in order to discuss Charlottesville, let's start off by agreeing upon basic, proven, demonstrable FACTS, so that we'll know whether we're all interested in real, intelligent conversation or just more silly partisanship: There was in fact violence "on ALL sides", indeed - Trump got that part EXACTLY correct, if you look at it objectively and truthfully: There was ONE hyper-violent act (a murder via car) from the rightist nincompoops (but no other violence by that side), AND there were many many many lower-magnitude (non-murderous) unprovoked violent attacks and acts (beatings both with and without weapons) by the leftist antifa-type nincompoops -
as there always are when the opposite-of-reality-named "antifa"
fascists are present. So it's a bit hard to quantify - one horrible evil murder, versus many less-serious unprovoked violent acts. I'd personally say that one murder is worse by a good margin than all the other non-murderous attacks by the antifas, combined. BUT, the quote in question - "there was violence on all sides" - is still quite accurate, technically. So if we can accept basic reality of what happened, contrary to the media / leftists (but I repeat myself), then we can have an actual productive conversation, not a biased, spinned one. Can we admit that the Trump quote was exactly correct, or are we going to try to deal in delusion about the violent, anti-speech leftist movement in this country? If the latter, I'll pass on trying to converse, just as I wouldn't try to conversed with a totally-brainwashed theist. Note that I despise every religion-based act that Trump has undertaken, from appointing DeVos to the dozens of other terrible theocracy-leaning acts that non-religious "Two-Timothy" man has done to appease the religious nutballs.

No, we cannot agree that his comment was exactly correct. All of his responses are divisive, and most of the violence towards the Nazi/Radical Right groups was provoked.

Fellow, your absurd rant nears no semblance to either reason or reality Further, your rambling, unlinked, unsupported stroll through fantasy land also bears no resemblance to good writing.

Well, the only way you cannot agree is if you're a liar. zblaze.

Avoid the issues raised with some meaningless nonsensical fluff - good "argument", wordywalt - typical regressive leftist "intellect". Everything I said was supported factually and is easy to look up - why did you avoid the argument entirely instead of responding to it, Walt?

And thanks for proving my point, you two, that regressive lefties are super-remedial short-bussers with their (your) heads in the sand, who cannot admit a proven demonstrable truth if it in ANY way is pro-Drumpf or anti-"progressive".

The more that can be done to expose Trump's evangelical "leader" supporters as the hypocrites and charlatans that they are, the better If this results in a real rift in the evangelical community good. It would cause some to leave religion, and would shame the charlatans.

I think a big part of the problem is that the religious left is a part of the Christian religion the evangelicals say they support. They are just another, albeit more peaceful and open minded, sect of Christianity. The fundamentalists think they are a part of one religion but, in the end, there will be infighting among themselves as well. This has been shown over and over for all religious beliefs throughout history. It is a recipe for continued violence despite their words of “peace”

This is my first time hearing "religious left".what or who is this?

They are the more moderate Christian groups. Unitarians, Quakers are 2 prime examples and there are many non-evangelical groups. There are even some Catholics who consider themselves liberal.

whatever works

Damn right! We are going to march and make some friggin noise in 2018 starting in January.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12066
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.