Agnostic.com

14 5

I was raised on hippie music. My favorite artist then and now is Cat Stevens. Stevens converted to Islam and is known today as Yousef Islam. At the time of 9/11 he was living in England, the US put him on a terror watchlist and he swore he’d never return to America dashing any hope I’d ever see him in concert.

Did anyone else here go to the Ralley For Sanity October 2010 on the national mall in DC? In 2010 I worked in a practice 2 blocks from the White House so I went. I’m really short in a crowd of 250k, I couldn’t see much of any thing being blocked by shoulders and brilliantly authored signs.

One of the first artists to take the stage was Cat Stevens, singing Peace Train. I bawled my fucking eyes out. Near the end of the song another artist joined in by crashing the stage. Who might you expect? I bet no one guessed Ozzy Osborne. A clear sign we can coexist.

Seen it?

[amazon.com]

SarahSiddons 6 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I too got into Cat Stevens in high school, was into it pretty heavy. When he left the scene, and changed his name, I never thought twice about it. I still love those old songs.

Bigotry and paranoia.

I have seen said performance. I was not there. I live in the PNW (Seattle). I was also raised to be a hippie (it didn't stick).

I don't wish to offend you, but I have to say something. I grew up on that era music. Still listen to it daily. (Love Flower Power radio online). When a teenager I thought The Cat was the coolest guy on the planet. Everything I could never be. Time passed. Then he became Yosef Islam. Didn't hold that against him. Then came the 80s and I watched him on a TV hypothetical show, dressed like a Arabic Sheik. Asked a question about S. Rushdie he said if he saw him he would call Iran. If Rushdie was attacked then it would be the Will of Allah. Charming. Kill people for writing books. Then I heard he didn't play guitar for many years because it was the Devil's instrument. I see. Then he changed his mind. Someone pointed out a reference in the Koran, so it was ok again. He said they shouldn't attack Afghanistan because they were his brothers in Islam. Same thing about Saddam. They may have been disastrous war decisions, but not for that. Now he's Yosef Islam version 3 or something like that. Well I think he's a religious fundamentalist at heart. He keeps reinventing himself, name and style, in ways that maybe Dr Phil might like to analyse. I don't listen to his Peace Train music anymore; it's too ironic. I don't take any notice of him anymore. The young man who was Cat Stevens, and the spirit that drove him, has long since left the stage. Sorry.

When someone starts a reply with “I don't want to offend you BUT” my eyes audibly roll. My post was about coexistence and a piece of my childhood rooted in music, not ones supposed moral superiority or their spiritual or religious personal history. I guess the true irony is the most difficult people I find to coexist with are atheist who find more pleasure in life being right than simply understanding the value of peaceful coexistence.

I thought your post was about Cat Stevens, and I made some relevant points about him. I stand by them. Actually, you are right about my beginning "I don't wish to offend you.." I withdraw it. It's not my problem if you are offended by some comments about Yosef Islam. That is what he calls himself. I am hardly the first person to comment on him. He has even come under the attention of US security services for his travels and comments. I appreciate and value the notion of peaceful coexistence extremely well, thank you. This notion and adult debate are not inconsistent.

He had a concert on PBS I watched right before the holidays, Yousef Cat Stevens was the name of the special. To keep within the hippie framework, it was groovy and right on! IN 1970 OR 1971, whenever it was, I bought 2 albums in cassette form, Tea For The Tillerman and Paranoia. I still have them both, 2 of my favorites. Around the time of the u.s. invasion of Iraq Cat Stevens did a very cool remake of Peace Train with African musicians and African or world music style, so very cool!

Cat Stevens (Yasuf Islam) is one of those artists who has never stopped putting out quality material. Some artists from the 60's and 70's, such as the Moody Blues, Aerosmith and Van Halen put out their last good record in the early 80's and haven't made a decent album since. Some artists from those decades are still going strong.

I would also encourage everyone to look into the post 80's work of Bob Dylan, Deep Purple, Herbie Hancock, Bruce Springsteen, Rush (perhaps recently retired) and The Scorpions. All have put out one or more very solid records over the past thirty years.

Love to watch Harold and Maude now and then. Cat did the music and it's perfect.

I hadn't heard any of his new songs and just recently listened to The Laughing Apple. It was so moving to hear his voice again - which doesn't seem to have been affected by age at all - that it brought tears to my eyes.

Cat Stevens was one of the earliest artists I followed. What a kind soul.

Cat Stevens, Melanie Safka, Phil Ochs, Joan Baez and Pete Seeger formed my current positions.

I loved Cat. I still do actually and I'm on the road to find out whoa oh oh oh whoa oh oh OH....

SamL Level 7 Jan 2, 2018

Cat Stevens was put on the watch list because he believed (at that time) in the fatwa on Salman Rushdie. You know, the guy who wrote Satanic Verses and blasphemed Mohammad.

My sister's favorite singer of all time is Cat Stevens. She is even putting aside money in case he gets close to Missouri so she can see him.

CoExist is on Prime! Watching it now.

No... but I remember cat Stevens right before i went to war in 71. He was cool. I played some of his songs last night. This is interesting!

Awesome-Love Tea for the Tillerman album-I'd be cryingtoo. Gotta love Ozzy-my ex named my dog that. Coexist Comedy Tour looks interesting.

That was my first album. I wasn't looking for no hard headed woman. Lol.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12164
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.