Agnostic.com

8 9

Hello, new here. I suppose you guys see this kind of post from new members often. Its the kind of post where we say something about what led us here. I was a Jehovahs Witness. I stopped going to meetings about a decade ago. I had no formal reason other than not having the time to go. That wasnt exactly the truth though. The real reason was that deep down i knew that religious belief was a waste of time and energy. It took having my megalomaniacal father declare himself to be something he clearly was not and if he was, if it was all true and this was his role, then screw this god....for a variety of reasons.

When you step outside religious belief, you begin to see how much of a crutch it is against people taking responsibility for their lives and actions, how it works against standing up for things that actually matter in life, how it causes people to waste their lives based on fear and false hope or even a very underhanded form of revenge by god.

I have one set of close friends, a husband and wife couple who went through a similar process i did. Together we have a form of PTSD about some things that i don't think i can ever get over. I can go to a holiday party but full on participation in a holiday just seems wrong to me even though i know its not. Ill likey never be able to participate in a birthday. Its just too weird.

Well anyway, I spent much of my life trying to be a model witness, trying to find a wife within the congregation. That was an utter failure. I never fully embraced the things that those women and their fathers, whom they typically listened to, thought were redeeming qualities. I had no real interest in field service or answering at the meetings or reaching out to take on more responsibility in the congregation. I was clearly not on a career path to being a ministerial servant or an elder. At the time we had 3 meetings a week, typically sunday, tuesday and thursday. That is a TON of time and energy trying to be good enough. So I gave up on it.

I think that a lot of people are there because they are afraid to be without the community or family that being a part of a christian congregation brings.....especially in that religion where you are ostracized by your peers who are still going. They make you feel guilty and then ultimately find you to be a person they can't be attached to anymore and quietly disappear. Humans are social creatures and we can rationalize anything for acceptance. I believe most people who go to churches do just that very thing. They are not honest with themselves and their veiwpoints or belief systems. They fear being left out, left alone.

Thats why im here. Im looking for new connections. Ive wasted so much of my life trying to live in a world that had no place for me and then so much more time feeling bad about it.

Alright, much of this was VERY generalized obviously. There was no simple reason why i now consider myself a secular humanist. And yes, i am a bit of a windbag. I don't know how to give short comments about intricate topics. Please feel free to comment. No, im not looking for pity, just like minded conversation.

jwt1977 3 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome. I think the JW's do a particularly heavy-handed job of trying to keep things insular, and you must surely have feared the ostracism that comes with de-fellowshipping. Know that there are a LOT of people who are skeptical - agnostic - atheist - etc. and we're all here looking to connect with one another and form a community. Congratulations on finding the courage to be true to yourself!

I agree with you, I just keep it to myself it's not worth arguing about. There are plenty of other things to talk about that don't change the way people feel about you. As long as I live my life the way I think is right I'm happy with my life.

For most of us, much like you, the separation from religion is a gradual process. The departure is made all the more difficult because many, if not most, of our contacts are involved in the religion as well. Often our family, including spouse, does not share our desire to leave and fights or obstructs in any way possible. It's not an easy process. I'm still going through it myself, but each day is easier. Keep in mind that, above all, you must be true to yourself.

Thanks, i find what your saying to be very true. Its a gradual process for me. I just dropped off the radar of everyone i once knew but with my family, i have made no declarations of not being religious. They can figure it out for themselves. I figure i do without the arguments.

Right on!

“Every time someone says that he believes in God, he’s saying that he has psychological or social needs that he doesn’t know how to meet.”

Excerpt From
Everybody Is Wrong About God
James A. Lindsay
[itunes.apple.com]
This material may be protected by copyright.

Welcome!

“Since beliefs in “God” stand to serve the individual psychosocial needs of believers, it is unsurprising that specific beliefs about “God” manifest in ways almost as varied as the believers themselves. The different needs that people have manifest in different ways, sometimes slightly and sometimes significantly, and thus they seem to worship different “Gods.” This, really, is the problem with trying to shoehorn mythology onto reality when subjects like psychology are so much better suited to the task.”

Excerpt From
Everybody Is Wrong About God
James A. Lindsay
[itunes.apple.com]
This material may be protected by copyright.

You have some things worth saying. But, you need to do a much better job of organizing your thoughts and of writing succinctly if you want people to pay more attention to what you say.

Hi JWT!

You may want to check out Lloyd Evans and his recent book "The Reluctant Apostate: Leaving Jehovah's Witnesses Comes at a Price."

His youtube channel is

Heh, thanks for sharing. Ill watch this. That word "Apostate", thats like a whisper word amongst witnesses and everyones afraid to be that. Heck, even im like, "i don't want to convince anyone that religions wrong, im just going away." But thats not really true is it? In the eyes of anyone who follows this path, those left behind are like in the matrix. Do you really wanna just leave them there?

Welcome home...

You are welcome here. Thank you for sharing your story. I can relate if you don't follow the herd you are left out in the cold. In Judaism there are 3 primary sects-Reform, Conservative and Orthodox. Each one looks down on the other. I was Reform, the lowest of the low-refused to go to Hebrew School like my Sunday School classmates. I was ostracized by all the Jewish kids and never invited to their Bar Mitzvahs or Bat Mitzvahs for girls. Never had Jewish friends in a highly Jewish town. Was a social outcast till I met some kids who were outcasts themselves. They knew there was no place for them and didn't care about it as I did.

Not that i have any real idea what its like to be jewish in any way, i have made a comparison between myself and judaism before on more than one occasion. Its like considering percentages if you arent in a highly jewish community, a jewish person would have had to go through possibly similar things i went through. No christmas, no easter, possibly others. Not that i ever cared about those things its just that theres a herd to follow in the congregation and theres another herd at school that can't be ignored. Then after school, in life, like at work.

My witnesses friends throughout my life turned out to be friends only as long as i had even the pretext of being a witness. Most left my side quietly, others denounced me publicly(facebook) and still others stayed within my sphere of friendship but any time id see them there was massive guilt and light attempts to get me to come back.

I never declared anything to anyone there. I just stopped attending and started being more of who i wanted to be. Thats all.

But also like you, i have a solid friendship in my two friends who are also outcasts.

I thank you for sharing your story with me, sassygirl.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12199
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.