Agnostic.com

27 10

Dealing with holiday loneliness

A part of me feels like I "should" be doing something on the 4th. Even if it's maybe just meeting a friend for dinner. But no one's around, and I've also been quite tired. I like to have plans, but sometimes I'll do something more because I'm relieved I don't have to be alone, and when I do that I don't even enjoy what I'm doing, even though I may work very hard to convince myself otherwise. I don't want to do that anymore... In past years sometimes I would try to go see fireworks or take part in some other sort of "celebrating," but I would just get worn out and discouraged, and the weather would be so hot it would also wear me down... Have to get past this idea that there's something wrong about spending a holiday doing something quiet and even being alone, because there's really nothing wrong with it... At one time maybe perhaps, when I was a loner, but not anymore... I may just call some friends tomorrow -- even if they're all out doing something, that's fine.

bleurowz 8 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I spent New Year's right here, by myself, relaxing... nothing wrong with time to yourself. Might have a hot dog with the kid tomorrow but nothing bigger planned.

I'm actually appreciating the downtime right now.

Sometimes on holidays I Google "Fun things to do nearby". Maybe I don't want to do something for that specific holiday, but I get out of the house and do something interesting. Last month I ended up going to a Sumo Wresting Tournament. It was fun, and it took my mind off of the holiday tapes I sometimes have going on in my head.

I was considering that. Maybe finding a street fair or some local fireworks nearby. Then I decided I really didn't want to go out. But yeah, there are times when I'll do that. Just didn't want to be around groups of people "celebrating."

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:122083
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.