Agnostic.com

12 0

Should the U. S. hold a Constitutional Convention?

Michael Farris has been pretty outspoken about a Constitutional Convention to take power away from the President and give more powers to the states. He seems to have gotten a lot quieter about that since Trump was elected and both Houses are controlled by the Republicans, but I imagine it will come up again in the event that the mid-terms put the Democrats in charge in Congress. I've provided here both a link to Farris' assumptions about why the Constitution needs to be altered and an argument from the other side. What do you think? Would such a Convention go the way Farris thinks? Is it possible that instead of reigning in the office of the President, that such a convention might instead address issues with Congress such as the money rolling in since the Citizen's United decision? Vote and leave comments and thoughts about your answer.
[patheos.com] [reason.com]

• 1 vote
  • 8 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 5 votes
MsOliver 7 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ratify AMENDMENT ONE in 27 more states needed to restore local democracy in Congress 50 thousand persons per Congressional District send 6000 honest people to out vote the 435 criminal incumbents

I think there's a lot of issues that doesn't match our generation today. Yes a constitutional convention is the way to go for the better of generations to come.

When you open up these questions, with the power that Evangelicals have right now, I greatly fear the result you desire may not happen, in fact the opposite! The Constitution has a lot of protections in it.....why not donate to the ACLU & similar organizations, march, write/call your reps, and VOTE!

I think there should be one, but I also think it would be disastrous. To be clear I think we as a country need to move forward as a society, and that means an overhaul of the constitution, but any attempt to make radical changes would be used by certain monied elite to roll back what gains Labor and citizens as a whole have made in the last two hundred some odd years.

A constutional convention at this time would be handled by the radical minority that currently runs the country. It would be their opportunity to lock in power for generations.

As a Brit I had to vote other as I feel it not my place, however I am reminded of the peasants revolt of 1381 our shared ancestors marched hundreds of miles, a few on horse back. To show the power of the people to those that controlled and taxed them into poverty to support the 100 year war in France. How affective it was I'm unsure however it has gone down in history and definitely had at least some effect. Surely as a nation that appears desperate for change it is time that we once again show our strength as a united front against unruly politicians, to stand up for what we believe and have our voices heard.
Write to your Congress persons, call them and harass them. If that fails march on Washington. I feel for you all I really do, a great nation that once put humans on the moon reduced to desperation for change in their policies. A country with the resources to educate their children to the best standards not given those resources willingly by their government. I guess what I'm saying is take a look in the history books, there's always been corruption, bad politics and there's always been someone fighting it, Oliver Cromwell, Nelson Mandela and every voter that makes a humanist decision on their ballet paper for the good of the people.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 2, 2018

Other.
Our Constitution is 242 years old, I think it could use an honest, common sense going over.
I know that seems impossible, but I think it could be done if we really tried.

mumma say don't play with fire !

The problem is that there are no limits on what can be done at a convention, and most changes desired by republicans would not be beneficial to the majority of people in this country.

kjtnt Level 1 Jan 2, 2018

If a Constitutional Constitution was convened before the end of 2018 we are in deep shit. With this Pub Majority in Congress they'll get 38 states to pass laws vs the LGBTQ community, flag burning, and will promote their agenda of prayer in schools and remake Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid

They only need 34, they're currently at 32.

The issue is not wanting a Constitutional Convention. The issue to avoid the end of the Constitution.

Why avoid the end of the constitution? If there are better ideas that have surfaced in the last 250 years shouldn't we do that? Must we cling to 18th century thought?

The only thing we can do is act as reasonable and rational individuals. The alternatives only require that we burn the Constitution to ashes, and make everyone slaves. Call the spade a spade.

If they had a consitutional convention today, they would almost certainly butcher the job and gut what's left of our rights and political freedoms.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12227
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.