Agnostic.com

15 1

Dostoyevsky or Nietzsche ?

Who would you rather have as a dinner guest ?

• 16 votes
  • 18 votes
GrandInquisitor 3 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nietzsche is a joy to read but I don't know if I could cope with a conversation over my treacle tart and custard dessert!

If I have to choose it would be Nietzsche. But at my party would be Sartre, De Beauvoir, Merleau-Ponty and then throw in Heidegger so we could yell at him for being an ass

Poor old Martin, what's he ever done to you? 😮

@Geoffrey51 His stint as a Nazi or in the least a Nazi sympathizer bothered me just a bit.

@AmelieMatisse There's always that I suppose, but I will be forever grateful to him for pointing out the 'throwness' to me!

@Geoffrey51 I do like the concept of Dasein though. And didn't he end up being mean to Husserl?

@AmelieMatisse yes, you may need to correct me here but I think Edmund criticised Martin's work and Martin shopped him to the Nazis for being a Jew, or something like that

@Geoffrey51 Let me review the gossip on this. There is a really fun reading book called "At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being and Apricot Cocktails" It has a chapter on all of the phenomenologists and existentialists and gossip about them all. Husserl was almost like a father to Martin but yes there was a falling out because they didn't agree on Martin's book,

@AmelieMatisse ah, that would be it then. I lke the sound of the cafe. Years ago I thought of opening s cafe called The Philosophers Cafe themed on philosophy etc. where people could come and hang out with like minds. However, as my wife rightly pointed out, people would just hang out and not by much, and I would get frustrated by having to deal with the everyday running of things and lose the point of why I started it in the first place. Should I win the lottery one day I'll do it and pay someone to do the nonsense end of it!

@Geoffrey51 but you could always philosophize with your wife on the good for common man that the cafe brought to society and if that outweighed earning money. LOL

Dostoyevsky, despite the religious overtones and his erroneous belief that all morality comes from god

Nietzsche because I don't speak Russian. 😉

Ozman Level 7 July 5, 2018

Neither. Dostoyevsky is too religious, and Niettzsche is too "uber-mensch".

Neither. I would rather have Hermann Hesse.

And then the other as so much learn

Neither. I choose Nietzscheyevsky, because why not both?

I read both in my youth. Hands down I would rather have dinner with Dostoyevsky. I would love to hear him talk about what inspired him to write Crime and Punishment. If I could talk to a philosopher, it would choose Albert Camus.

I guess I’d have to provide dinner for the translator, too.

Definitely not Nietzsche because he'll probably speak as loudly as Zarathusra did in Ricard Strauss' composition. Perhaps Dostoyevsky - if he's already served out the Punishment for his Crime. But he would have to promise to leave the Karamazov brothers at home...

Depends who brings the better wine and eats the least!

Because he stood with a dieing horse and was so encumbered by the beating of the horse, that he went mad from the ordeal.

Etre Level 7 July 5, 2018

I voted for Nietzsche because I’ve heard a lot more from him vs Dostoyevsky. But either would make for interesting conversationalists.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:123309
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.