22 1

Dostoyevsky or Nietzsche ?

Who would you rather have as a dinner guest ?

View Results Add Comment
By GrandInquisitor
Options Favorite Like

22 comments

Neither. I choose Nietzscheyevsky, because why not both?

DZhukovin Level 7 July 5, 2018

I guess I’d have to provide dinner for the translator, too.

Hermit Level 7 July 5, 2018

Definitely not Nietzsche because he'll probably speak as loudly as Zarathusra did in Ricard Strauss' composition. Perhaps Dostoyevsky - if he's already served out the Punishment for his Crime. But he would have to promise to leave the Karamazov brothers at home...

Krish55 Level 7 July 5, 2018

Neither.

Ellatynemouth Level 8 July 5, 2018

Neither. Dostoyevsky is too religious, and Niettzsche is too "uber-mensch".

tnorman1236 Level 8 July 5, 2018

I read both in my youth. Hands down I would rather have dinner with Dostoyevsky. I would love to hear him talk about what inspired him to write Crime and Punishment. If I could talk to a philosopher, it would choose Albert Camus.

rickpowl Level 2 July 5, 2018

Tolstoy

KateZilla Level 7 July 5, 2018

Putin

No wait, Zhukovin (I read my own sh%t)

Edited

Depends who brings the better wine and eats the least!

Krish55 Level 7 July 5, 2018

I voted for Nietzsche because I’ve heard a lot more from him vs Dostoyevsky. But either would make for interesting conversationalists.

Leo716 Level 5 July 5, 2018

If I have to choose it would be Nietzsche. But at my party would be Sartre, De Beauvoir, Merleau-Ponty and then throw in Heidegger so we could yell at him for being an ass

AmelieMatisse Level 7 July 6, 2018

Poor old Martin, what's he ever done to you? smile008.gif

@Geoffrey51 His stint as a Nazi or in the least a Nazi sympathizer bothered me just a bit.

@AmelieMatisse There's always that I suppose, but I will be forever grateful to him for pointing out the 'throwness' to me!

@Geoffrey51 I do like the concept of Dasein though. And didn't he end up being mean to Husserl?

@AmelieMatisse yes, you may need to correct me here but I think Edmund criticised Martin's work and Martin shopped him to the Nazis for being a Jew, or something like that

@Geoffrey51 Let me review the gossip on this. There is a really fun reading book called "At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being and Apricot Cocktails" It has a chapter on all of the phenomenologists and existentialists and gossip about them all. Husserl was almost like a father to Martin but yes there was a falling out because they didn't agree on Martin's book,

@AmelieMatisse ah, that would be it then. I lke the sound of the cafe. Years ago I thought of opening s cafe called The Philosophers Cafe themed on philosophy etc. where people could come and hang out with like minds. However, as my wife rightly pointed out, people would just hang out and not by much, and I would get frustrated by having to deal with the everyday running of things and lose the point of why I started it in the first place. Should I win the lottery one day I'll do it and pay someone to do the nonsense end of it!

@Geoffrey51 but you could always philosophize with your wife on the good for common man that the cafe brought to society and if that outweighed earning money. LOL

Nietszche. After some strong hits of sativa, we would be lost in a sea of beautiful decadence.

Sapio_Ink Level 6 July 6, 2018

Neither. I would rather have Hermann Hesse.

wordywalt Level 8 July 5, 2018

I always wanted to ask Nietzsche why he was so hostile to Darwin's theory of evolution, which he misinterpreted - imo. During the dinner I could try to clarify that misunderstanding and show him that Darwin's theory and Nietzsche's philosophy are a perfect match.

Matias Level 6 July 5, 2018

Because he stood with a dieing horse and was so encumbered by the beating of the horse, that he went mad from the ordeal.

Etre Level 6 July 5, 2018

Nietzsche is a joy to read but I don't know if I could cope with a conversation over my treacle tart and custard dessert!

Geoffrey51 Level 7 July 12, 2018

Dostoyevsky, despite the religious overtones and his erroneous belief that all morality comes from god

CurtisHall Level 3 July 6, 2018

Not particularly intellectual or relevant - but one of my first dogs was named Nietzsche.

HabanoSun Level 4 July 6, 2018

Nietzsche because I don't speak Russian. smile009.gif

Ozman Level 6 July 5, 2018

Im biased havent read any Dostoevsky so i voted for my boy Friedrich

Quazi Level 5 July 5, 2018

And then the other as so much learn

Cristinasamana Level 4 July 5, 2018

Freidrich was likely a handful late in his life, with the syphillitic psychosis. So Fyodor, as depressing as he might be as a dinner companion, would at least be stable.

NerdyOkieDude Level 7 July 5, 2018

@Jezippy : I can do that alone!

Write Comment

Similar Posts

Categories

Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!