Agnostic.com

23 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good for them!!!
We should be doing the same thing here in the US.
I'm sick of idiot parents who don't vaccinate their kids and put everyone else at risk.

Vaccinations are relevant to the populace, not only the child being vaccinated. Sadly we live in a society where people willingly choose unfounded fear over the safety of everyone. I like this step.

I think anti vaccination twats should be fined, and pay extra tax too.

Livia Level 6 July 5, 2018

Amusingly I bet money will have the greatest affect on these swits.

Good. As previously suggested, there should be penalties for parents in the US who not only put their own child at risk, but others' children also.

Not vaccinating children puts the entire population at risk. We should do that here.

We need that here. If you have ever seen a baby struggling to breath because of whooping cough or a child blinded or dying from measles that could have been prevented you would change your mind about vaccines.

Good.

$2 Bucks a day fine ($1.47 USD) Good but should be more...Kids are priceless.

I guess the next step could be putting it down as, 'neglect' and getting Child Safety involved, but that's a costly and labour intensive option when they have so much work on already. Kids need rights to healthcare regardless of parental blocking until we find stronger evidence against and/or better options for vaccines.

Start taking their kids away. They'll wake up quick enough.

@KKGator They'll just make more. Since they won't have to support the ones that were taken away, that makes it too easy.

Sounds like a good idea. So long as the punishment in not barbaric. It's not the kids fualt.

LOL, did you think they're beating the children?

@mattersauce what we do to the parents will affect the children...

@Lifestone It's $2 off of a family tax benefit so it'll max out at "no benefit".

@mattersauce lol, that's not even a punishment

@Lifestone Looks like it's potentially about a grand per child, so depending on the year end, it could be $730 per kid.

@mattersauce these... Brilliant people think that they are saving their children from something ligitimatly dangerous, and are willing to risk other children to do it. A fine seems light.

Children should be vaccinated. It should be mandatory everywhere. There are too many idiots who are parents, who don't do what is right for their children.

If a government aims at maintaining a firm control over the health of its people, I believe this is a necessary and absolutely welcome step.

Great stuff. I am not sure, but I think it’s also illegal not to vote there too. You can spoil your ballot but have to vote.

Livia Level 6 July 5, 2018

Yeah I find it nuts you guys aren't obliged to voted.

I had a 'discussion' about this when I first got to Australia from UK where there is no obligation to vote. I said if Australian's have the right to vote, in a democratic nation that should also include the right NOT to vote. Didn't go down too well. I suspect its just another revenue raiser. After all, what's the difference between a spoiled vote and a no vote other than having to ponce around getting to the polling booth!

@Geoffrey51 A spoiled ballot produces its own data on voter dissatisfaction. In the UK today, people’s right to vote is being diminished by US style voter ID bullshit. The “right not to vote” is a disrespect to everyone who fought in the 2nd world war, it’s total disengagement from citizenship. It gives permission for the establishment to steal from you what is yours. When I find out one of my family has not voted, they get a very serious bollocking from me.

@Livia Its an interesting thought Livia, and makes sense to some extent. It just flies in the face of a declaration of freedom as one is compelled to act for fear of reprisal, which, from my perspective was what WW2 represented, and many others come to that. I agree that everyone should take advantage of the democratic societies choices, but that should also include the right to abstain. If there were a box on the voting card 'no confidence in any of these' then I would fully agree with you.

Fun fact: Australia invented the secret ballot. Not fun fact: Indigenous Australians weren't allowed to vote until 1962.

@Geoffrey51
I look at it this way: along with rights, we have responsibilities, and VOTING is one of those. Too many Americans yammer on about their rights, but you never hear anyone talk about responsibilities, except as a negative. We need to grow up.

@AlmostVulcan Exactly. The oppression of the Indigenous people of Australia has been abominable. I don't know enough about the relationship with indigenous N Americans but my perceptions is they at least has the cultural experience to fight back.

When a substantial number of parents decide not have their children vaccinated it increases the risk of a serious outbreak of childrens’ illness which can be fatal in some cases. This may seem a bit draconian, but a responsible government must take any measures required to protect it’s citizens.

the science backs vacinations

I've only read one scientific article that covered the story of a contaminated vaccine batch that caused problems children.

Apart from that I'd say most vaccines are essential and children should be vaccinated for their own benefit.

Good! Wish they'd implement something similar here.

Mea Level 7 July 6, 2018

Good!

As it ought to be.

And there are restrictions about sending unvax'ed kids to child care as well

Here in the UK theres a lot of scare mongering going on with links about the MMR vaccine to autism. It may or may not be true but seeing some politicians taking their own children out of the vaccine program doesn't help. (Tony Blair)

Nardi Level 7 July 5, 2018

The only way vaccination causes anything is if you have a contaminated vaccine.

Blair’s kids were vaccinated using separate vaccines, not the combined MMR. They went to France where MMR is disliked, not for reasons of autism, but for the belief that one vaccine at a time on a schedule is healthier than combined vaccines, which may or may not be true.

Personally I think it’s your choice not to vaccinate. Of course you should keep your children far away from other people. Seal up your property in a bubble and not come out. Only fair.

What about the kids choice not to die from a preventable disease? I am asking seriously as the whole parents rights argument to me falls apart when the parents choice has a high probability of killing/maiming/harming the child. Like child seat belt/helmet laws.

@Quarm I really figured that people would understand that this is obviously sarcasm. I’ll TRY and point it out from here on out...

I have such a hard time with this. I firmly believe that every child who can be vaccinated should be. I personally am one of the immune compromised who are at greatest risk from non-vaccinated people. But, I have to support individual liberty. Asshats have the right to be asshats. And public schools/care centers have the right to turn away non-vaccinated children. It seems the tax penalty might be a good middle ground.

What about the kids choice not to die from a preventable disease? I am asking seriously as the whole parents rights argument to me falls apart when the parents choice has a high probability of killing/maiming/harming the child. Like child seat belt/helmet laws. My moms best friend from high school was a Christian Scientist who died directly related to her refusal of medical services. It tore her family apart. Imagine if it was a child, should the parents "liberty" supersede the child's?

I read this as parents who don't vaccinate their kids are punishing Australians.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:123418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.