Agnostic.com

15 6

If you were a museum curator, what would the theme be?

A couple of years ago, I went to the World's Largest Toy Museum in Branson, MO. I found an old dollhouse I had as a kid and loved. It wasn't a popular toy either, it was a hand-me-down from my Aunt- twenty years older than me. So, really cool to see it there.

If I had a museum, I would want something that was not your normal museum. Even something strange like Ripley's Believe It or Not Museums.

So, what kind of museum would you start? If there were no limits, what are some things you'd add to your collection?

silvereyes 8 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love dishes (not plastic ones). And, I have often said that I would love to have a large room dedicated to all the dishes I could collect--never to use--only to look at as I sat in a chair and read...or visited agnostic.com 🙂 So, I suppose, having a museum dedicated to dishes from different time periods and cultures would be my choice. Especially given that I would hire a staff who would be responsible for doing the dusting.

There's a Pencil Museum in Keswick, Northern England and in my home town (Southport, UK) there's a Lawnmower Museum. I'm not sure I could top those two for unusual museums but I'm going to try!

I use to take my daughter to the Museum of Childhood in London and I enjoyed the displays of children's toys from different eras as did many of the other parents there as evidenced by the smiles on their faces.....

The museum of Arts and Culture. Going back to 100,000 years from cave paintings.

A museum entirely built out of sand, a sandsculpture. The arts have cross over more cultures, Religions, and tribes than any other influence tool from the beginning of mankind.

The Greatest show on earth.!!!

Idk, maybe real evidence collected hunting for the real truth! The truth that has been lost, found and lost again?! Our history books are being rewritten almost every day and they are filled with theories and ideas not truth and actual facts!!

I have been kicked out many museums and themes parks for presenting the deeper and truer facts. Like topics about native American and Christopher Cumubus was a real pirate. Cumubus started North America's Christianity, gold rush, native slavery and genocide and so on. Must build my own museum closer to the truth.

Action figures from the 1980s. No, they're not dolls 😛

Science fiction art! For sure

The Temple of the Human Spirit

That would be the title and the lobby/reception area would be a tribute/interpretation of the temple from Ayn Rand's Fountainhead. From there, different wings would be available and will focus on historical technology, highlighting people who made progress while being trodden on by society and to the hidden heroes of technology. Darwin, Turing, Margaret Hamilton are the 3 names that constantly come back to me as the under appreciated. There would also be an exhibit about the trial of Socrates, as it is the popular reference of hemlock. Possibly even some "philosophers and activists" like Gandhi and MLK. And Colin Kaepernick.

To me, there is a magic to the people who stood against the grain and changed the world, especially when the world made it a point to stand against them. What the world did to Alan Turing, how little people know about it and how few people understand the scope of what he gave us is a travesty. The torture it must have been for Darwin to see and document evolution when it was against his beliefs is a thoroughly underappreciated part of the human spirit. I'd have to do alot more research to curate this museum, but that's why I think it needs to exist.

The Art of Sushi & Umami. Also, last time I got drunk ever was in Branson MO after I watched a live performance of The Lawrence Welk Show that I grew up watching with my grandparents. It was New Years Eve 1999 and I was the youngest person in the entire auditorium and when I saw the Xylophone guy I Adored as a kid, I stoood up clapping! Wow. Then I proceeded to get wasted with a bunch of seniour citizens! Fond memories of Branson! hahaa

Sadoi Level 7 Jan 2, 2018

A friend of mine has spent the last couple of decades collecting artifacts for his proposed Museum of Crap Things. The museum will probably never exist; his house, as you can imagine, is packed floor to ceiling with junk.

My museum would be the Museum of Women's Sport. With the exception of tennis, women's sport is almost entirely ignored by the media but isn't really any different to men's sport - and so there are loads of fascinating stories out there that only people who consider themselves fans of women's sport specifically and make the effort to seek them out ever get to hear them.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 2, 2018

@Kreig Things are improving, definitely. Here in the UK, women's football, rugby and cricket get on TV, and it's possible to track down a few examples of other sports too. Sponsorship deals still lag far behind unfortunately - I don't know how it is in other sports, but a large percentage of "professional" riders in women's cycling aren't paid, and Marianne Vos (arguably the most successful cyclist of all time) is paid only a fraction of what mediocre male professionals are paid. But, changes are happening. From small acorns and all that!

Interesting question. Tool museum at first pass. Tools through history especially. I'm a handyman and a history buff, so this would be of great interest to me. Including such amazing things as the Antikythera mechanism, tools used to make the pyramids, the first vacuum cleaners (They were horse drawn, the first time they vacuumed Westminster Abby 12 cartloads of vacuumings were hauled away) and countless other tools throughout history. I'm defining tool rather broadly, maybe a tool and technology museum would be more accurate. There would be a hammer wing, the original tool, there must be thousands of them. (Late medieval knights didn't carry swords, since they were largely useless against full plate armor, they carried hammers specially designed to damage armor.) A Roman wing, they had human operated cranes and special devices for rolling down roads to measure how long they were. Heck, there's a Roman tool we still don't even know what it was used for. That's just for starters. Now I just need to win the Megamillions lottery ...

Probably anything politically incorrect and/or propaganda themed. It’d be interesting to see to what extent messages are conveyed.

That would be awesome to see!

I would start an encyclopedia museum. I've been fascinated lately with how people throughout our history learned about the world around them, each other, and more. I'd definitely have the first edition Encyclopedia Britannica and have some stories from the indigenous peoples all over the world, especially Australia and the Americas.

Anything Coca-Cola...outsider art... A question, have you been to the Ripley's in Key West?

@silvereyes The Key West one is fun...me kids and grandkids had a blast there last summer...if you have a chance go

Computer equipment through the years, including the old military cryptography machines.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12375
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.