Agnostic.com

27 1

Who are some of your favorite philosophers?

Just trying to get an idea of what everyone is into. I personally love philosophical pessimists such as Cioran.

SethRatcliffe 3 July 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jordon Peterson - so much food for thought!

Hahah

Alan Watts ,

@TiberiusGracchus It was Robin Sharma, possibly from ' The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari' but I can't be sure

Jack Handy - such a prolific genius, so many relatable deep thoughts

Daniel Dennet.

Sarah Silverman.

Nitze and shoppenhour

Alan Watts is still the best contemporary dude.

My favorites are all standup comics. The truths of life without all the bullshit and they entertain.

Douglas Adams...

Ayn Rand

@Matias agreed. She is a nasty freak. Her writing is dire too.

i'm curious what specifically you don't like about her philosophy?

@Matias I would never consider Trump a self made man. I'm quite sure that he would be one of the villains in Ayn Rand's novels (Think Orren Boyle, if you've read Atlas Shrugged). As for being selfish, I believe that almost everything is done for selfish ends; even if it just makes you feel good. Being selfish doesn't mean that you walk over corpses to get what you want. People can work together and still achieve their own selfish ends.

Socrates, Lao Tzu, Seneca, Hume, Spinoza.

Don't know the fellow you mentioned but mine are:Lao tzu, Chiang tzu, Daniel Quinn, Alan Watts, William Atkinson, Annie Bessant and STRONGLY DISLIKE Plato!

Pook Level 5 July 7, 2018

Dennet, Spinoza, Emerson and Nietzsche.

Not really a philosopher, but influential in the field Ferdinand de Saussure - linguist & semiotics.
Also like Jean Baudrillard and Foucault.

Livia Level 6 July 6, 2018

Hi, Seth, and welcome to the website,

We owe a great deal of our Democratic government and liberal way of life to John Locke, but most people here don't dwell on philosophy.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve, so this information might be helpful.

If you answer the profile questions and write your profile, listing your hobbies and interests, you'll earn website points, and members can get to know you.
Commenting on posts and writing your own earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

The website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many women prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find compatible partners.

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.

I like Daniel C. Dennett. As far as old-timers, I like John Dewey. I'd have to think about it some more to come up with others.

If I had to say only one, Noam Chomsky. Obviously the Greek and Roman philosophers have relevance even today and are interesting to study in an abstract way. Chomsky is still alive and is therefore more relevant to contemporary society. I think we should all develop our own philosophies based on our own moral values.

Heraclitus. You can't step into the same river twice. Not an exact quote.

I hate them all.

know thyself

Bruce Lee. He had a great outlook on the way he thought life should be.

Bob Dylan, Nagarjuna, Rumi, Thomas Hobbes, Meister Eckhart, Maimonides, Krishnamurti, Wittgenstein, the anonymous author of The Cloud Of Unknowing, Julian of Norwich

@Matias Thanks Matias. I didn't know of him. I've just had a quick look at his work. He seems to be holding pretty much my position. I wish I'd known of him when I did my degree. His work would have been excellent to cite.?

Alfred North Whitehead, William James, Aristotle, Plato

John Locke and Adam Smith.

Jean-Paul Charles Aymard Sartre

I don’t have

Areej Level 2 July 7, 2018

Spinoza, Emerson

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:124266
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.