Agnostic.com

9 2

Athiesm and Stoicism?

Anyone study/ practice or otherwise try to exemplify stoic principles in their athiest/ agnostic lifestyle?

boom 4 July 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stoic philosophy definitely has its good points. If you are interested I’d recommend reading Seneca’s letters, they are nice and digestible.

Denker Level 7 July 10, 2018

I admire the Stoic philosophy and from time to time strive to envelop the principles, but I'm not one much to get bogged down with too much detail, as my pursuit of mediocrity then begins to become something more complex and befuddling.

I do. It’s not so hard, but I look at it as more of a way to not let my emotions control my actions and my reason. To analyze myself and my actions and allow the emotion to wash over, not letting it influence my actions.

I’m not always successful, but it’s a process.

After reading more about stoicism in the last few years, I have discovered that it's not what I thought it was. There are some great ideas there.

I agree. I thought stoicism meant suffering in silence but the more reading I do I realize it's about moderation and equanimity. There's a lot to be said for it. In popular usage stoic often is a synonym for heroic so I don't identify myself as a stoic to others. But I do try to practice it.

I get up every morning, live my day as I please and go to bed every night. The only caveat is that I strive to cause or do no harm in how I live my day.

Nope. I'm not a fan of any particular philosophy.

Not me.

I think it's accurate to say that I generally live by stoic principles to some extent. I think it's almost always more useful to keep your cool in most situations as compared to making decisions based solely on emotion. On the other hand, I've had people tell me that I can be cold and calculated to the point of coming off as 'robotic'. I'm not sure that that's a bad thing, but I also think it's useful to keep a balance between emotional expression and reasonable action.
I tend to think that all human motivations are fundamentally emotional (i.e.: a lot of action is motivated by survival instinct; this may get into semantics though)... so it seems to me that the advice of the ancient Greek stoics is simply to think more about long-term goals than about short-term whims.

Yes, everyday. I try to analyse and subsequently focus on what I can control in my life and not to worry about the rest. Additionally I always try to maintain my composure and push the limits of my temper so that it takes more and more before I lose my cool.

Can you control those ears?

@Condor5 Oh you mean on my filter lol unfortunately no haha.

@Wavefunction well, that's a fine set of flappers-not much larger than my own.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:124824
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.