Agnostic.com

26 6

Do you volunteer in your community?

It's one thing to proudly wear the badge of "atheist" and "humanist" but I wonder if you feel the urged to volunteer for a specific cause around your own community? How do you give back? Do you feel other causes close to your heart?

Redcupcoffee 7 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m a teacher and a single parent. I have zero time.

Being a teacher, especially given the unfairly low salaries in most places, is a form of community work, in my opinion. Thank you!

Thanks

your time will come !

I volunteer teaching music at a performing arts school for underprivileged students, I've volunteered at various youth organizations over the years but this one is the best- we have former students on Broadway, in movies, on TV etc. These were kids who had to eat all 3 meals at the school because their family couldn't afford good food for them. It completely changes their lives.

I volunteer with County Elections to register voters.

Most recently at the Federal Courthouse for a Naturalization Ceremony.

We've had similar posts-but its good to get it out again-I recently moved my daughter and her boyfriend with 4 members of his family into my home. They were all living in a bad neighborhood with high rent and minimal space. We are now an extended family. I also have my ex-husband of 20 years who is terminally ill and disabled living under my roof. I have a nurse come in for him every day and recently added a ramp and electric stairway. I also help clients at the food bank with clothing,xtra food, gas money, etc. as I can.

Wow.... you are a saint. Very lind and generous.

Hats off to you @sassygirl3869!

I'm in the process of becoming a volunteer mediator through a local resolution center for the unified court system, but there's a lot of work yet before I receive state certification (for basic cases and parenting custody and visitation cases).

That’s awesome! How did you find out about that?

@BlueWave A friend of mine and I were talking about volunteer opportunities a few years ago and I think he was the one who suggested it as a possibility. We never did anything with it — he was moving from job to job and I was busy — but I follow the resolution center on Facebook and saw them advertise this unique combination training (usually basic training is conducted first, then parenting training is separate) and it was being held locally (which is rare because there are so few certified trainers in the state, and this isn't a densely populated area) and there was a grant to cover the tuition, so instead of being more than $1,000 for the six-session, 42-hour seminar, it was just $100 (with a two-year volunteer commitment). So, there was never going to be a better time. My friend couldn't do it, though, because he had a work conflict, so I just did it myself and I'm really glad I did. Unfortunately, I still need to do more before I'm certified: three mediation observations (I've done two, one remaining) and then five co-mediations with a certified mediator with staff observation to ensure I'm qualified to volunteer, and then I'll be eligible for state certification. To remain certified, mediators are required to mediate at least six times each year and have at least eight hours annually of continuing education in the field. There are opportunities for further specialized training, for a price (certainly not a cheap form of volunteerism). The instructor for my training has his own practice and most of his work is in restorative justice, which he suggested to me as something he thought I should pursue, and he also recommended large-group mediation. So there are certainly more options down the road for interesting types of volunteer work. But my next step is to get certified in basic and parenting mediation. Everything else will have to wait.

@Redcupcoffee It's not really something I've always wanted to do and, in fact, not something I was sure I'd even be very good at. The instructor was really good, though, and he presented the material in a way that made it feel really natural — what I liken to having really good communication skills — and he seemed convinced that I would be good in a couple of specialized areas of mediation. I'm hoping that's true, because I think it's something I could find rewarding for many years (perhaps even make a career out of it in some capacity if it goes especially well).

I spent my career helping people. Today I share the fruits of my garden with my neighbors. I also support the civil rights community. Anything I give will be of my own free will and without any outside supervision.

Yes, I’ve found a small town within a religious wasteland that has more progressive non-religious do-gooder organizations than you can shake a stick at! Granted, most are filled with ..old people, but I’m headed that direction, and it’s nice to appear young by comparison 🙂

And unlike their religious counterparts or immitaters, the non-religious groups do good for all. No need to be a member, or in a privileged class.. It’s parks, trails, food banks, books, concerts, gardens, fairs and educational opportunities for all! And I help 😉

Varn Level 8 Jan 3, 2018

I am a member of the Lions Club and the local Chamber of Commerce. As a business owner in web design and hosting, I donate to local charities hosting space and design services. I also donate to the local Democratic Party and am a member of the local Democratic Committee. I am also on the Board of the Huron County Project Leadership - an educational program which readies local citizens for leadership roles.

I know and understand the Lions is a faith based group, but to me the end result transcends affiliations. I do have aspirations to form a local free-thinkers group which will perform similar community actions.

I have wanted for years to do something worthwhile, meaningful and fulfilling. I am a tad ashamed to say that I have yet to find anything that I have pursued or that seems like a good fit or that seems enjoyable. I shall put that back on the list of things to do. Thanks for the reminder!

The one thing that I do is give a little money to Planned Parenthood monthly, and I donate a bit here or there to various political candidates all over the country.

pick up garbage . you know where it is !

yes I help animals

For the only reason I would love to live in a house is I want a cat and a dog.

I raised money over the Holidays for a local boys and girls foster home. One of the reasons I joined this site was to find more opportunities in my area to join together and give back.

Being Puerto Rican... Because of the Hurricane Maria... My Nephew created a money and food drive just to fill up a 34ft container. over 14-16 thousandth plus the container filled up, he made sure money and pallets all individually wrapped went to the right people. Many were distributed from a hospital and our relatives got needed supplies like generators, etc. It was hard work and it was worth every sweat. To me that was still my community. I couldn't volunteer to go to the island for being on a treatment that I couldn't miss. Granted I don't regularly volunteer, but lending hand is open 24/7 if you knock.

@Redcupcoffee it was mainly a 3 man operation nephew, his stepdad (my brother in love) and I. Sad thing I didn't mentioned my brother in love got sick within a week of locking up and delivering the container for shipment. Weak heart and within 3, 4 weeks was gone. Nov 18... same day of the Puerto Rican Gala for Maryland. I saw him working and busting his butt off. I believe the effort did him, I am the only one that believe that or at least voiced in the open. I am Fully Retired and it will always be on my mind. The Effort we did that last week just me and him since nephew was traveling and making sure all will be okay over there.. Just Sad.

Yes, not on a regular basis, but I plan to do more.

I volunteered in the election as a Bernie delegate in the county and state caucuses.

@Redcupcoffee If Trump is still there we all better be engaged.

I do... but charity is not restricted to religious... it is the calling of all those with a similarly caring heart. I knit shawls for terminal patients in hospitals, knit cancer caps, help with local food pantry and ohhhh almost forgot mittens and hats for local kids.

I am starting to sign up voters and am getting involved in an organization so I can work around the upcoming primaries and elections

Play with a group that does a sing along at a local rehabilitation center and nursing home. We play once a week for an hour and a half I play banjo with this group. Volunteer with my local library a couple of hours a week. Also volunteer at my church, property maintenance every Thursday morning (we have a 100 year old building). The band I play with has an open session every Sunday afternoon (anyone can come and jam with us). We just got done doing a slow jam for new people to get them up to speed.

Single parent at the moment, but if I get the opportunity in the future, I want to get back to volunteering more. I used to volunteer as a literacy tutor in Milwaukee and as a quiz bowl moderator on weekends (kind of like a referee). I've also worked a lot of public sector jobs and felt that it's been an outlet for my commitment to improving the community.

I don't volunteer. But my wife does...at the Cancer center here in Colorado Springs. She has a good heart. I buy McDonalds gift cards to give out to the homeless people here. Sort of selfish that way: give them a opportunity to buy food and not drugs.

We have a local atheist group "ASK" (Atheist Society of Knoxville). They adopted a highway, and I try to help pick up trash when I can. It's enjoyable to me, because you can see the immediate results of what we do.

I volunteer at a local animal shelter, and volunteer and teach self defense to crime victims when asked to do so

I used to be a Lion....but, then, I decided that my time would be better used by knitting for the local Veterans Hosp.

@Redcupcoffee Nothing special; we crochet lap blankets for the veterans to use with the wheelchairs, other ladies knit hats and scares

yep . I run the annual park party 100 people show to that and i run halloween with somewhere near the same turnout plus i pick up garbage on the creek walk every day

I’ve been a blood donor most of my adult life. I’ve also done adopt-a-mile highway cleanups with a couple of groups, ditto soup kitchen work.

Volunteer Bodyguard at an abortion clinic, adopt a highway Green Party, foster grandpa to 2 students in daycare of 38 schoolchildren, @CatVetCommunity my twitters Larry.H.Carter.Center@gmail.com train SERVICE CATS for Veterans in wheelchairs ineligible for service dogs....lobby 27 more states needed to ratify AMENDMENT ONE 50 thousand persons per Congressional District restoring local democracy in Congress door to door phone to phone grass roots representation 843 926 1750

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12493
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.