Agnostic.com

27 5

Best Friend Defends Islam, Bashes Christianity.

One of my longest friendships is with a religious person, and as I have become more open about my atheism, I feel less and less like I can relate to her. She is a Muslim from Bosnia, and when we first met she told me she doesn't really practice but just kind of identifies as one because her family does. However, over the past few years, I have seen her grow more and more defensive of Islam. She even said that there was no way that the Pulse nightclub shooter was really a Muslim, and there was no way religion was the motive in the shooting, which bothered me. She does this every time there is a terror attack in the news. She openly bashes Christianity and criticizes instances of Christian discrimination towards others but believes her religion is entirely peaceful. I find it really hard to bite my tongue for the sake of our friendship and I was just wondering if anyone else has found it difficult to maintain friendships with religious friends as an atheist. I am hesitant to let the friendship go because we have been through a lot together, but I just feel that if I ever expressed my true thoughts she would get defensive and end up hating me. Is there a way of possibly explaining Islam to her, and how its ideas can be extremely harmful, without sounding like I'm directing criticism towards her specifically? Any advice is welcome.

TaliaElizabeth92 5 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As an Orlandoan with a few friends in that community, I don't think "religion" was the real factor in the pulse shooting, but self loathing homophobia that was exacerbated by religion. Couple that with the teasing of his co-workers and government meddling in his life due to false claims of terrorist links being investigated seriously, it makes sense that his self loathing rage manifested in a public and destructive way. It'll take alot of serious evidence to convince me he has any link to any terrorism or that he did it to send some religious message.

As a brown man I look into these things pretty seriously so that I can defend myself against slurs and idiots. Pulse hit particularly close to home as I was driving through downtown Orlando on the highway at 3AM that night and saw about a dozen cop cars from western counties streaming in. Then seeing that the shooter was a brown man born in NY a few miles from where I was born and that he'd randomly wear a Yankees hat like me. He also scoped out an east coast gay club where my friend DJ'ed.

Most religious people of course think that their religion is what they believe. So if she is a Muslim and sees the (for her) good things in Islam, clearly, it is hard for her to see how a terrorist who kills innocent lives could be a Muslim.
Objectively of course, both, the terrorist and your friends are "proper" Muslims. they just chose to use an irrational believe system in very different ways.
I oppose all religion and I am probably more and antitheist than atheist but I still think it is wrong to think that religions are some specific static constant believe system. that is not how it works -- there are endless variations, sects, subgroups, cults, and personal interpretations of each religion and to generalise over all people who call themselves Muslims or Christians or Hindu etc. would just be silly and damaging.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12510
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.