Agnostic.com

14 9

I believe religion is destroying our nation. A big fuss is made over a political candidates Christianity or lack there of and the fuss over Obama by people who believe he is a Muslim. I say so what if he is? Our constitution specifically states there can be no religious test to hold office and yet we have these people who insist America was founded as a Christian nation when it clearly was not and in fact the founders went out of their way to ensure it was not founded on any one religion.

misstuffy 7 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think there are a lot of people who think that the country would be better if everyone believed the same things as them. The religious right want the president to be a Christian because they think he sets the example for what a "good American" looks like.

Yes but how do you explain their support of "grab them by the pussy" Trump?

I agree. Religion is the source of all evil.

It's not religion that's destroying the nation it is the people USing religion to divide and conquer. The rightous claim they have the answers after the politicans scare the sheeple so badly they no longer think for themselves. It is a vicious circle - and that is why this site is so great. It is heartening to read other thinking reasoning posts by folks not sucked into the dogma.

Another thing those people do with religion is use it to subjugate women into believing they are less than a man. That men should have the final say in every thing even when they are wrong. These marriages are not partnerships, they are dictatorships.

My grandparents were saying Obama was a godless muslim, which is funny because you can't be both.

Mr_Dj Level 5 Jan 4, 2018

They probably mean Godless in reference to their version of God. This only serves to highlight the irresponsibility of our political leaders spreading mis-information to further their own agendas. E verone remember the great debate over Obabamas birthplace? Thank the great orange pumpkin for that one!

Yes, religion is keeping Oz in the dark ages. We have a conundrum, our politicians are evil and stupid, and our population is lazy and most don't care as long as the footy is on and the beer is cold.

Yes, but I think we're in better shape than the US in that regard.

Yasss girl! I hate religion period

Yasss girl! I hate religion period

Religion is not just detrimental to the nation but to all mankind

Yeah, the middle east used to be a great place with lots of logical thinkers before Sharia law was enforced.

it's destroying the life on earth

Many countries have gone through this same problem throughout history. Some have survived and flourished. Some have not.

I see this as a population/resource issue and that will be harder to overcome.

@astrochuck The formula for this problem is I = PAT (Impact equals population X Activity X technology). The problem with technology is that it allows us to extract more resources from a finite base (fracking is a perfect example). It makes for more people being sustained on fewer and fewer resources. Too many think technology will solve all our problems when, in fact, it exacerbates them. I saw an excellent TED talk on math and the exponential growth curve. It showed how technology fit in and the problems caused by it. I have been trying to find a link but so far no luck.

We definitely need to build that wall, the one between church and state.

The wall is there and always has been. It just needs shoring up.

I think hippiechick, you should be on a ballot.. js...

And look, now Michelle Bachman is awaiting god to tell her to run for al frankens seat..

True, however, when he won , it was pretty frea ki n close. They actually delayed swearing him in..

There are so many contradictions, and hypocritical ideas out there regarding all this.

There are STILL people that think Obama is a Muslim. And certainly many more that claim this is a Christian Nation, and get all riled up if you even suggest removing "under god" - or "in god we trust" - from anything.

It's gotten way out of hand at this point - with the orange one encouraging the crazies !

The orange one needs to go. I got into a FaceBook debate with someone who insists Obama is a Muslim even though I pointed out he has been a verified Christian most all of his life. I am amazed at the ignorance in this nation.

@misstuffy yeah - me too. There's some real winners out there ... but remember - it's not everyone !

I remove the stupid statement all the time from my money - it just takes a pen or marker.

@JackPedigo isn't it illegal to mark on money though?

@AccursedHalo Lots of things are illegal. How many time have you gotten bills with messages or phone numbers on them? One can always say it was there when they received the bill. Sometimes we need to rebel and do small acts of mischief.

@JackPedigo I may start doing that too - fun !

@JackPedigo I've actually never received a bill like that, unless it was marked like by a cashier to make sure it was real or whatever. And i've got some slightly torn bills, but defacing money CAN end you up in jail up to 6 months and be fined and i'm not about to end up in jail and pay a fine just because the word God is on the currency I use.

@JackPedigo Granted, all the more power to you for taking that risk.

@AccursedHalo I have seen a lot. I pointed out to my aunt a Darwin fish on the back of a car. She said she had never seen one. Later she told me, since I pointed one out she was seeing them all over the place. I have actually received bills with the in (a ) god part crossed off.

@AccursedHalo Not to change your mind - but think about it - if you were to mark a bill in private, unless you do it with others present, or put a video online, there's no possible way anyone is going to know who did it.

@evergreen True. But I'm still not taking the risk. ????

@AccursedHalo as I said - "not to change your mind" - you needn't take a risk

@AccursedHalo I think everyone has a tipping point. Many have reached it or about to.
We had a young woman from Iraq on this site but I have not heard from her in some time. We had (and may still have) a young guy from Iran. Right now there are major demonstrations going on there.

our "nation" has done a lot of good and a lot of damage over the world... karma is a bitch ass lady and sooner or later will get mad at us. no religion is going to save us from the mess... all contrary as we can see. Is just Teaching us a Lesson.

@icolan reckon you never take responsibility for your bad deeds.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12555
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.