Agnostic.com

16 1

How long will it be before we have an open Agnostic/Atheist presidential candidate?

• 1 vote
  • 10 votes
  • 17 votes
LucifersPen 7 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with other posters that Trump is an Atheist pretending to be a Christian. He only worships himself. So unless you think he's a god...

I'm pretty sure in reality all the last 3 presidents [ and this one for that matter] are atheists. they just act the part to gain the votes from the sheeple.

We have an atheist in the WH (read Mar-A-Largess) as we speak. It don't say anything about it's beliefs but the fact that it has never entered a church voluntarily, except for weddings and funerals, is a good indication. Methinks the position of 'open' never occurred to it.

I've given some honest thought about trying to get something going for myself; slowly get my name, beliefs, and agenda out there so that I can run in 2028 when I'm old enough to be president...

But I think I might be too honest, and poor, to be a 'good' politician.

The establishment would use the media like a magnifying glass on paper from sun light to burn as many holes in the life on anyone attempting to become president.

Not for a while — we're not even a republic yet! Oh, are you talking about the USA? Sorry.

I believe there are more atheists/agnostics in politics than will admit to it. It would be basically political suicide.

Bernie Sanders was probably a closet atheist but it would be very hard to elect an openly atheist person today!

Very pessimistic of most of you. First and foremost, atheists have been elected to city and county positions over the years. We even have one acknowledged atheist in our state House.

Two things have to change if an atheist is to be elected to a federal office. First, the distrust of atheists needs to be coddled. Just because one does not believe in a particular god or gods does not mean she/he is ant more or less honest than a true believer. This falsehood needs to be countered.

Second is a concerted effort to GOTV by liberals, progressives, and Democrats. The Christian community, especially the Evangelical Christian sects, are very good at rallying their base. Look at the recent Alabama election to see that. Evangelicals believed that Moore was innocent of the allegations of sexual deviancy because he was a good Christian. They rallied their base and lost by a few thousand votes in a tight election. We saw this with Trump's election when the religious-right came out in force to vote for the "outsider."

Will we see an atheist for president in the next 20 year? Could be IF the electorate continues to turn to the left for policy.

I don't see it happening in our lifetime. It'd be tough being a religious minority in the political game.

Jsxwi Level 4 Jan 4, 2018

You could not get an atheist/ agnostic canditate for dog catcher in this country

I believe we are on the good path to achieve that....women,off course!

You are assuming that there will be another president and that this is not the last?

As soon as you become more like Australia. In the recent census it showed about 33% chose no religion. Catholics as the most prevelant religion got 29%. Young people are mostly free thinkers

it won't happen

Every president thus far has tied themselves to one religion or another, but none will openly say they are Agnostic, or heaven forbid (pun intended), declare themselves an Atheist. It is an anathema in American politics to say you're a non-believer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12608
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.