Agnostic.com

11 1

I always wonder about that being “in a better place”— how is being dead a better place?

Specman 6 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always say to my self if they are in a better place they should be celebrating instead of mourning .Also how can existing with no purpose for eternity be a better place ,this sounds like a hell to me

As opposed to suffering, yeah dead is better. A fascinating book about death, medicine, and what really matters is "Being Mortal" By Atul Gawande. How we are so afraid of death and the steps we take to avoid it. My opinion is death is part of life, we haven't figured out how to live forever. We need to live and die with dignity. I've told my kids I don't ever want chemo, I don't want machines breathing for me, I don't want pain. I want to go quickly and with dignity. When I can't do what I wanna do when I wanna do it, let me go.

You won't ever truly know the answer to that, but the good news is, you will not care!

Funerals are for the living and not for the dead

To me, dying is preferable to living in constant, intense pain, or to being in a state of dementia.

For many theists, one key point of their belief system is that dead is not really being dead ... the better place is some kind of eternal nice status of being that forever avoids death.
In my view of course, there is nothing more scary and terrible than that: most people simply cannot even get close to understanding what infinity means. No matter what that place is - after a million years it must have become pretty boring. After a million trillion billion years even more so. But even after a million trillion billion times that long, you still have used up exactly 0% of your time. What a horrible prospect - and no chance to end it by killing yourself!

Isn't that phrase normally used for a deceased person whose life had become intolerable for one reason or another before they died? Similar phrase may be "they are out of their misery now".

As others have commented, "to make the grieving easier for people".

or RIP like you got any choice. being dead is a much easier place.

I agree, a lot of theists must be very unhappy people, they would rather gamble everything they have, in order to to die and go to an imaginary paradise... and they expect the rest of us to follow them ??? They must be crazy...

I agree with @SharonK comment, and I'm not even the US. I suppose we say these things, well not me but others, to make the grieving easier for people. But you are right.

It's not living in a world where Trump is president

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.