Agnostic.com

21 4

Does anybody find Deja Vu uncanny? What is your theory on it?

I’ve been doing research like crazy to find answers to why the brain do this. I kind of find the whole thing just creepy at times because I can swear up and down that an incident has already happened before. So what’s your theory on Deja Vu?

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Brown et al (2004, 2006) did extensive neurological research on déjà vu and found 3 leading causes:

-a brief change in normal neural transmission speed causing a slightly longer separation between identical messages received from two separate pathways,

-a brief split in a continuous perceptual experience that is caused by distractions (external or internal) and gives the impression of two separate perceptual events, and

-the activation of implicit familiarity for some portion (or all) of the present experience without an accompanying conscious recollection of the prior encounter.

I do not know if there are further, lesser causes but these were the 3 causes Brown discovered in his research.

I've had some incredibly strong instances of déjà vu, and I've even had genuine recollections that seemed so strange I thought it was déjà vu for a second. It's a fascinating set of phenomena!

@VirginCotton I'm afraid I don't understand this comment.

@VirginCotton is this humour?

@VirginCotton I think, if anything, we are even on the spectrum!

It can be a symptom of seizures. I have a short list of the "Vu's"

People, with epilepsy, suffer from what are collectively called the “Vus” (voos). Every one of us endures the vus to some degree
and it can be made worse by our medications.

First there is “Deja-vu” (day jah), the feeling that one has experienced something before.

Then there is “Jamais-vu” (jah may). This is the feeling that a common experience is completely new. This could be like forgetting (about 30 seconds) how to tie your shoe.

Then there is “Presque-vu” (presk). This is the inability to find a word, (or part of a word) for a moment.

Everyone suffers these to some degree, but people with epilepsy feel them far more intensely.

Seems to me we had a post on this before...

I think its happened to alot of us, some more than others...

Damn good question... Here's another one. I'm on a road miles away from civilization and I see nothing coming or going. I turn to say something to my wife and I hear an 18 wheeler go pass me. I pull over and ask my wife where did it come from? She had no clue. As a child I stopped in the middle of the road for no reason. An 18 wheeler passes me and almost sucks me into it. I looked before i crossed and saw nothing. I'm traveling. We're on a regular road and I see a chicken from a back yard running to the street. It ran out in front of me. What's the odds? I'm the only car on the road doing 60. I'm on a highway out in the no where land. I look all around me and see nothing coming or going. I stop for a 4 way stop in the middle of nowhere. Nothing coming. Pull out and stop for no reason. A truck runs the stop. It could killed us. Alright... about your Deja Vu... over my head. Im still trying to figure my stuff out.

I’ve never had precognition but have experienced Deja Vu (the feeling that you have seen or heard something before). Have you?

Memories, awareness embedded in our conscience of certain events with similarity. Hollywood says there are only 32 plots... I experience Deja Vu in every movie I see... In every affair I have but life can get interesting and freaky for all of us... good question.

Deja vu is a term... Basically a memory that was stored and dormant was suddenly triggered. When we remember things we are basically remembering the last time we remembered something and not the actual memory... It is why anyone that was with you can implant a fake detail in the memory and you will acknowledge simply because you think they as credible... Deja vu works in the same way... You feel like you're reliving a moment but it's a faint memory of a dream or past

We look at time as a linear, but there are theories that existence is a dot. Everything happens at the same time but on different layers. I find the theory fun. It would explain Deja Vu as slipping layers. But this theory is just a possibility fancy. Though, if you think about time, 'yesterday' doesn't exist as a thing, but only as a imperfect memory point. 'tomorrow' never comes, and now is so fleeting that it is difficult to measure, if not impossible. So time, in a sense, doesn't exist but as an imaginary reference point.

I have had precognition and deja vu before. The precognition is usually something simple like hearing the phone ring a few seconds before it "actually" rings. Or maybe thinking of a number and then I hear it spoken on tv. The problem with this is that it could just because me experiencing it happening before my senses are able to hear it. Somehow subconsciously I'm experiencing it. There have actually been studies done where researchers were able to observe brain function and tell which choice someone would make up to 10 seconds before their physical being actually made the choice. It's basically a case of events happening before we notice they happen. So even though we live in the present, everything that is happening in the "present" is actually in the past. So we have already recorded the event in our mind, and then through our senses, it gets relayed to us.

As for deja vu. Your guess is as good as mine lol. I guess it is similar to precognition. I just wish I could use it in terms of lotto numbers lol

We have a lot of repetitive behaviours. Our memories are not perfect. Sometimes something similar in the past happened, and the memory is incomplete, so when we see something similar, our brain fills in the old memory with information from the new memory. Thus you have two different memories, that are the same, and you are unable to distinguish between them. Deja Vu.

Sometimes our subconscious will form predictions on what will happen, tomorrow, 2 days from now, or next week. Though the prediction is incomplete, and you aren't fully aware of it. Then when something similar happens, you recall the prediction, updating it with the new information, thus forming Deja Vu.

Sometimes you have a dream and can only remember pieces of the dream. Then something similar happens in real life, and your memory of the dream is updated, and you then have Deja Vu.

Sometimes your brain records the same memory twice. Something happens, you weren't paying much attention, and when you regain focus, your brain replays the memory again. Though because it just happened, you see it as two memories instead of one.

It's a very complex computer, with a very simple user interface.

I’ve never had precognition but have experienced Deja Vu (the feeling that you have seen or heard something before). Have you?

Depending on the intensity. If it's that "premonition-like" feeling, that totally freaks me out. If it's me sitting somewhere feeling like I've been here before, that's okay, unless there are added emotions.

It seems weird, but is really nothing special. It happens in two ways, you either remember an event as it is happening, or a similar event triggers the memory of a similar event.

I've only had deja vu in my dreams.

Yes, many times!! My teorry: we reborn, deja vu its some kind deffect or affect of it!! So, small parts memorry back

I did enjoy the movie Deja Vu.
Godless ßless.

I don't have a theory on it but there are two other forms of 'vu'. I enjoy reading about the three forms. I don't experience it as much as I used to.

See my post below. 🙂

I have had this experience quite a few times. My perception is a little different however. I have always thought I was remembering having had a dream about an event instead of me reliving the event again. This phenomenon use to drive me crazy because I could see no purpose in it. What good comes from me dreaming something that is going to happen if I do not remember the dream until the event happens.

I find it uncanny. Most here don't.

SamL Level 7 Jan 4, 2018

You know that has happened with me too. You go to a new place and it feels like you've been there before. Sometimes an event occurs and it feels like a repeat performance. It even happens in my dreams-serial dreams. I don't know why it happens but shit happens. LOL

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12675
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.