Agnostic.com

7 3

LINK On the Eve of the NATO Summit, Trump Has Pissed Away the Pax Americana

Great opinion peace or review of history?

...Yes, the U.S. does pay more than its “fair share.” In exchange it receives more than its fair share of power. All parties to the arrangement receive prosperity and peace. This arrangement liberated Europeans and Americans alike from the most dangerous force confronting them: European fratricide. But we have forgotten how it happened or why. We have forgotten that our grandparents are the ones who built NATO. We have confused “old” with “obsolete.”...

...Americans died, suffered, and labored assiduously for generations to make of Europe what it had never been before: a united zone of peaceful, prosperous, liberal democracies—and the other half of the West. The rescue and reconstruction of Europe was our greatest moral and political accomplishment, towering above any other in our country’s short history. Our grandparents destroyed the most monstrous and tyrannical regimes humanity has known, then proved that our system of governance, or something much like it, could be built and made to work on that very soil. This is the story of the world we know, and the story of our country, too. This is the accomplishment now under threat....

...We’re now cheerfully pissing away the greatest achievement of American history, the work of generations, achieved at incalculable cost in life and treasure: a free, united, secure, and prosperous Western world. The 20th century has been forgotten. No one learned a thing from it.

Lukian 8 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've said this before...here it is again. My father died in military service to this nation. It sickens me to my core to think his sacrifice was for THIS!

I thought it was Obama who pissed it away. His foreign policy was totally idiotic.

I agree with everything you say. I was born in 1945 the year WW2 ended and for my entire life Europe has been at peace and this 73 years is the longest period without war ever in European history. I believe that NATO and the EU are jointly responsible for this. The decision for the UK to leave the EU is foolish in my opinion and at this time we should be doing all we can to combat the right wing elements which are gaining a foothold in Poland, Austria and Hungary and try to reform and reshape the EU from within instead of leaving to do our own thing. Now it looks like Trump is determined to dismantle NATO and I believe that will be catastrophic. Yes America pays the largest amount of money, but then America has the broadest shoulders. With Russia at Europe’s back door and in expansionist mood, this is no time for Trump to be playing games with our security, both European and American,

I certainly agree with the spirit of your post but European peace has been lacking with Bosnia, Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia, 1989 Revolutions, Turkey invading Cyprus, not to mention "The Troubles" and others too numerous to mention. Its all been rumbling on since 1945

@Geoffrey51 I take your point but none of these were done by EU countries. Most were done to and by former Warsaw Pact countries especially in the former Yugoslavia. Some of them may now be members of the EU but were not at the time these conflicts happened. I think it rather emphasises my point don’t you ?

@Marionville I agree there. I was responding to the lack of war in Europe since 1945. I didn't realise that you were only referring to EU members.

@Geoffrey51 It was in the context of my assertion that the EU and NATO were jointly responsible for the 73 years of peace.
I thought it was obvious I could only mean in EU member states.

@Marionville overall you're right but ireland/Britain is an EU country. However mainly throughout this period in conjunction with the US we've exported our wars to countries outside of europe

@JimmyM I don’t think the comparisons stand up. The N.Irish troubles were completely internal to the U.K. no other country was involved. We may have got involved in invasions and conflicts overseas but we have not fought against each other on Eurooean soil, and have always been on the same side in any conflict abroad,

It's a hot topic. Depending on who you talk to NATO is either a force for good or a force for evil. Likewise the European Union.

@LimitedLight

I was talking about NATO and the EU.

Here's a link I just plucked...

[counterfire.org]

@LimitedLight

I gave a link. You could have found one yourself.

Absolutely true. Trump is a terribly destructive buffoon.

He seems to enjoy hurting people and destroying everything non Trump! He must stay up every night just thinking ways to piss people off.

That was so hard to read. My refrigerator keeps my food fresh. Do I look at my electric bill and tell my refrigerator "that's enough! I'm cutting you off!".

Omg, I love that article!!! It seems like that's all the orange idiot and his corrupt administration know how to do is destroy every positive bit of progress we've made over the years because it doesn't line their pockets or ease their religious beliefs or make them feel like gods of the most powerful country on earth. Every day just brings another travesty. It makes me seriously sick to my stomache.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127333
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.