Agnostic.com

13 0

Are you "out" to all in your life in terms of your atheism, agnosticism?

If not, who do you keep it from, and why?

Jmac17 3 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. I refuse to be a hypocrite and act as thought I believe in order to avoid hurting someone else's feelings. The only people who do not know are those folks with whom I have never been in any sort of religious setting or discussion. I don't exactly advertise that I am atheist, but if my views are relevant to a situation I certainly do not hide it either.

If someone cannot deal with the fact that I am atheist, then that is not someone I need in my life. If someone is willing to accept that I am atheist, even if they disagree, that's fine and, in fact, I enjoy the occasional debate!

I'm so "out" with anyone and everyone about my atheism if l were any more out I'd fall over. I do walk around with an "A" Atheist badge from Dawkins Organization on my coat, and it's not a small one, so it couldn't be more obvious.

Yes, it is not a secret. I choose not to push it in people’s faces, but everyone knows.

I only keep it from my grandfather. He's deeply religious and I care about him. He would likely take it very badly, and he's already had to suffer through losing his son (my father). I won't lie if he asks me about it, but I don't intend to bring it up.

I'm happy to discuss my godlessness with anyone, under appropriate circumstances. Everyone I know well enough to have ever discussed religion with knows my stance on the issue. I wouldn't necessarily go ranting against religion to my boss, though I wouldn't hide my position if it came up in conversation, but most of my coworkers have heard me bitch about religion from time to time.

Yes, everyone who knows me knows. And although I don't go around yelling it, I do say so when the topic of religion comes up.

Family absolutely knows (many of them are Atheists as well) , I'm vocal about it on FB, so all my FB friends definitely know, and a few co-workers. I don't advertise it to most coworkers & definitely not to my boss or team; most of them are big-time believers (but, thankfully, nice about it/not proselytizing) who would not be able to understand how any one can not believe. It's too important that I maintain a very solid relationship with these people, for my life/livelihood, so that's where I'm fully closeted.

Yes, but I don't necessarily go out of my way to bring it up. When I was doing my therapy internship, I wouldn't tell my clients unless they asked. Many of them derived great comfort from the idea of god. Self disclosure that is not in service to the client is considered unethical.

I think we should leave it alone unless it is contextually appropriate or when asked a direct question. Wouldn't you like it if all the religious people would just STFU?

Well the elders of my southern African American family (80 yrs +) I see no reason to share this with them as the church had a meaning in their lives that I can never comprehend and only get from their stories and the history books. Its a choice.

I’m open about it, but I don’t walk around with an agnostic badge on. It’s a perspective, not a club.

I'm pretty much out. I don't ever make an issue of it, I don' t know who "knows" and who doesn't, or even if any of my friends or acquaintances care. Those who matter know.

The older I have gotten and the more religious hypocracy I see the easier it became.

I've been a non-believer since I was 16.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12812
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.