Agnostic.com

8 5

LINK In pursuit of healthy aging

“Although previous work has shown how intermittent fasting can slow aging, we are only beginning to understand the underlying biology,” said William Mair, associate professor of genetics and complex diseases at Harvard Chan School and senior author of the study.

skado 9 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I smoke, i drink to much (i'm pickling myself slowly to increase my longevity) i eat rich food. On the other hand, i have never sat behind a wheel so walk miles every day, i play football once a week with guys half (even a third) my age and regulary go a day without eating a great deal. I like to think i have an unhealthy, imbalanced lifestyle. My mind, my attitudes and my companions are young; my pain threshold is high; and i intend to live forever. ??

Smoking, excessive drinking, poor diet and sendentary lifestyle all lead to premature aging. My family genes are not that good, but unlike my relatives I lead a very healthy lifestyle and I have aged a lot better than they have.

Little Britain - Marjorie Dawes Best Moments

I honestly don't think that diet is mutually exclusive. I have to say that genetics have a lot to do with aging.

For example, my profile pic, or avitar doesn't do anything to illistrate ones age. I am 53 year5s old and by appearance I look a bit younger.

Not that it matters, I still ans always value those who might, or might not look their age, but respond to them for the valu that they might have to offer.

Sorry about the typos, I'm typing this on me phone, and for me, typing on a small ketboard is tempermental at best. lol.

I totally agree with you regarding the genetic component....Good genes combined with a sensible lifestyle goes a lot further than jumping on the latest (fad) diet bandwagon and running marathons which might be ok for some folks but I know more than a few who are paying the price now (bad knees, hairline fractures in their feet, etc)

I can relate to typos and fingers to big for touch keyboard.

Nothing in excess but do everthing and live large because your expiration date flux too much without you noticing.

Everything in moderation including moderation.

@Deanervin You only got one shot at life. Many shots at getting death so do not moderate too much. It may not buy you extra time here.

@GipsyOfNewSpain have lived with death hanging over me daily for the last 35 years, often brushing close to it with low blood sugar. An exhausting life at times.

@Deanervin So you deserve fun... fun in large quantities. I barely had use for medicine in my life, I had a stretch of 16 years without a physical, from my 40's to my 60's. I will accept death when it comes. I cheated it a few times but illness was not involved except once. Just not afraid of living or dying anymore. You deserve to live a little. There are all kinds of beliefs and truths... my truth... I don't believe much in medicine despite all the great accomplishments and miracles produced in a daily basis. I recognized we live longer. Wishing you long live and health to you.

@GipsyOfNewSpain back at you!

Have told my adult daughter that I am now biologically redundant. She didn't care for that. ?

@Deanervin I think my 3 adult kids still have a watch on me, waiting I grow up or at least fake that I matured. My mom just turned 92 today. I should had made more kids to keep an eye on me. It is going to be a long watch.

Interesting revelation, but I wish they'd define fasting to clarify the notion.

me 2

It's easy to remember what's allowed for diabetics with kidney problems - don't eat or drink anything .

Type 1 diabetes hit me at 15 years old and probably helped by making me more aware of my health.

Vegetarianism & avoiding the sun is serving me pretty well. Don't drink or smoke either. Normal cholesterol levels & below normal BP well past the age when other family members were taking pills for it. Avoiding the sun prevents wrinkles & spots as well as skin cancer.

Carin Level 8 July 11, 2018

@Belrieve I believe it helps me not gain weight too. Did not really think about health benefits till lately, when friends & relatives are starting to need drugs for heart, BP, cholesterol etc. & I don't, despite all of that running in my family. I was/am primarily a compassionate vegetarian.

@Belrieve The first couple years are the hardest--you are doing great. Maybe your dad will be inspired by you to at least reduce animal products intake.

@Belrieve OK I'm stealing that one!!

They tell me Dad had red hair , though it was pretty much long gone before I became aware of such things . Mine was initially red , but after the baby fuzz dropped out , what came back , most took as blonde , although there was red mixed in with it . Mom was always very careful about how much sun I was exposed to . Now they want me on both iron and D3 pills , since I don't get a lot of sun .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128549
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.