Agnostic.com

41 2

How do you feel about religious music being played in a gym?

The gym I go to don’t do it all the time, but I’ve noticed sometime they play Christian music and to be honest, Christian music don’t motivate me enough to want to work out hard enough. I still workout hard, but I prefer regular music to get my adrenaline going when I work out. I have to have music that keeps me going and keeps me excited enough.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The same way as I do with the majority off other shit music played at the gym, I tune it out 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 July 14, 2018

I've been in a lot of gyms, and can't recall any that tuned into a religious station. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention but I'd complain if I noticed and would never join anything that pushed religion

When I worked out at my college's gym they played pop music, but one day I was curious as the stationary bikes had radios so brought my earphones. I found it ironic as the gym's radio played Rihanna's song Love the Way You Lie I heard this Christian song on the bike's radio that sounded similar, like the singer was masochist wanting Jesus to abuse them.

If I heard it while visiting, considering joining, such would be a reason NOT to join that gym. To find out after signing a contract, I might send a letter stating that the music choice was a problem and that I would not be renewing the membership. In the meantime, I would bring my iPod.

Zster Level 8 July 13, 2018

I'm glad my gym doesn't play that closed minded music. I might consider canceling my membership, because of it.

I speak up, nicely, and let them know there are some that are not thrilled with the choice.

That’s exactly what I tend to do as soon as the boss is back and ask is there a special reason why the music has gone from normal to Christian music.

It sounds as if the person working there is imposing his religious beliefs on you by playing the music of his or her religion. If they advertised as a Christian owned gym,then that would be one thing,but if they didn't then they are stepping over a line. You have a right to complain. I am sure a Christian would complain if Satanic music was being played. If they have that right,then so do you.

Ikr! Lol

I considered joining a Curves for a hot second until I found out they played Xtian music there. Doesn't matter that I bring my own tunes and therefore wouldn't hear it, it's still a huge nope for me.

Haha, I might sing my preferred workout music at the top of my lungs!!!
I work out to EXPLICIT Heavy Metal!

I used to have a health club membership (now I have everything I need at home). But I have never experienced what you're talking about. They typically played mainstream pop or some sort of hip-hop music. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I suppose it would depend on the music itself. Is it X-tian rock? Or more "traditional" stuff? I guess if I didn't like it, I might say something to the staff about putting something more motivating for workouts. Otherwise, I'd just ignore it. LOL!

Separation of church and flab!

You're probably not the only one who feels that way. Some people feel like they have to put that stuff in their heads all day, but most people, even Christians, don't. They might switch it if you ask for something more upbeat.

I find it loathsome anywhere.

You and me both.

Having to listen to shitty music was a big factor in me lapsing my gym membership. Nothing to do with religion - Bach would have been fine.

Gareth Level 7 July 12, 2018

I would just bring my iPhone and listen to my own music. That way I can create my own playlist to what gets me pumped up instead of rolling the dice on whatever music they decide to play.

If it’s a privately owned gym, you have no real say in what the play. I mean, you can pull your membership but it won’t change anything. If it’s a corporation that runs it, like 24 Hour Fitness, then you have a few options by complaint to management or sending an email to their headquarters. But again, that likely won’t do anything.

Leo716 Level 6 July 12, 2018

Yeah, I’ve just decided to purchase an iPod , gather my headphones and just put on the kind of music I like to get my adrenaline going! Christian music just don’t do it for me lol.

I'd be as annoyed if they played country music. I want to hear some guy sing about his girlfriend running off in his pick-up with his dog and the rest of the beer as much as some thumper singing sky daddy is so good. Hate that crap.
I'd rather hear elevator music.

If I were going to your gym, @EmeraldJewel, I'd be annoyed. But then again, some of the non-religious music they play at the gym I don't go to as often as I should is annoying also, not so much for the content of the lyrics but the awfulness of the music that those damn kids are listening to these days.

(Old man now shakes fist at cloud and tells kids to get off his lawn.)

Yes, those damn pesky kids and their awful noise!. Why can't they listen to proper music like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix and David Bowie as we did! 😮. We certainly didn't irritate our older generation!

It is indeed annoying, but I’ve recently found some badass gym music that got my adrenaline so I think I solved the problem. iPod and headphones now! Woo! Woo!

Ask for a refund and look for a new one.

I can’t really understand how anyone could get their “sweat on” to light acoustic ramblings about Jesus. Lolol

Lmfao me, either!

I just put on my headphones and ignore it, my music is way better

I personally wouldn't care; I think I'm more offended by country music. If it's a private establishment I respect their right to play crap music. If it bothered me greatly I'd find a new place.
That being said if it was government or funded by the government then I'd have a problem. The YMCA for instance, as far as I know, is still funded by the government at least in part. At that point I feel that it is government pushing a religious agenda.

@Fulishsage -- The YMCA, like almost all organizations structured as non profit, is financed by donations.

[geneseeymca.org]

Indirectly, all of us subsidize the Y because they operate tax free for the most part, but it is hardly government funded in any other way.

@evidentialist thanks for the information. I knew that other clubs have felt the YMCA had an unfair advantage due to government assistance, I did not realise it was in the form of taxes.

Interestingly enough, my local Y, even though it's got Xtian quotes in great big letters in its lobby, is the only gym I've been to that explicitly states it supports folks using the restroom/locker room that corresponds with their gender identity.

As long as it's Islamic, Hindu or Satnic I am ok with it

Kinda like when I go to one of my local McDonald's or this auto repair place and they always have Fox News on TV. I wish they would choose a different channel but can't do much about it.

Yeah. That music can't get me going.

I’m more offended by so many TVs in public spaces (waiting rooms, gyms...) having Fox News on.

UUNJ Level 8 July 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128647
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.