Agnostic.com

29 4

Does it annoy you when people blame the devil for things that may go wrong in life?

Sometime things in life just happen without no cause, but most people can’t seem to understand that and want to blame the boogeyman and say things like,” He’s just trying to get you to stray.” I mean I’ve never let myself allow my imagination to stretch that far to blame an entity for anything. I take responsibility of me and just do the best I can to move passed things that just happens in life.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is all part of the religious mindset. God has imposed rules that must be followed. Satan manifests himself as anything bad. So yes, temptation. It's all part of the sky-daddy fantasy world. It works both ways too. I hate the phrase "I'm only human." Really? What a crock of shit. It's nothing but the abdication of responsibility for your actions.

It allows them to take a pass on being responsible for their actions. I’m not in control, I can’t help it. I say mental institution for them

jab60 Level 6 July 12, 2018

There's no god, and no devil.
Blaming, or crediting, either for anything is asinine.

Nah! As Tom Waits says in Heartattack and Vine 'You know there ain't no Devil only God when he's drunk!"

I love that song.

@TristanNuvo Me too. Tom Waits is one of my top boys!

@Geoffrey51 A friend of mine who I made friends with on a blog site years ago will get on line together, and do a bunch of drinking, and listen to a bunch of drinking music. Every time we do, Tom Waits always comes up. Great drinking music.

@TristanNuvo Yay! Wish I could join you but there are no Downtown Trains from here!

@Geoffrey51 I thought might find this funny.

Tom Waits.... one of my long-time poetry beatnik heroes.

@TristanNuvo that is brilliant !

It bothers me a lot more when they blame me. The devil can take it, since it's just a fictional character in a sorry and ridiculous fairy tale.

zeuser Level 9 July 12, 2018

It bothers me most when people start going on about how he's going to be defeated in the end and keep trying to rebuke him. Come on, get a grip on reality. I've seen it mainly from the blab it and grab it crowd. Always thought they were idiots.

Does it annoy me? Not really. Everyone is looking for something to blame for a misfortune, whether that's a supernatural entity, themselves, other people, the weather, etc. For me, it's better to say "Shit happens" and move on with my life.

Very well typed! I could blame any number of things up to and including the number 42 for everything. I just find a reason to laugh, then move on.

Just a little bit about that from Jim Jeffries.

Well what's baffling about it for me is that some Christians seem to have more faith in Satan than in their deity. They go on about Satan's wiles and deceptions as if their god is powerless before him -- and even before Satan's mere minions. Some of them perform cleansing rituals and toss certain objects (e.g., owls) out of their homes so as not to give these evil entities any purchase or right to be present with them. It becomes, for some of them, a downright obsessive / compulsive neurosis.

What bothers me more than this is when people say things like, "I am a work in progress or offer it up to Jesus. Along the same lines I find it very disturbing that so many inmates upon arrival to prison suddenly, "find Jesus".

MarkF Level 5 July 12, 2018

He was hiding in cell block E disguised as a plastic spoon this whole time!

"Offer it up to Jesus"? You mean like that insufferable song, "Jesus take the wheel"? Wife's friend shares that same, irresponsible mindset. Owing to a broken mind-mouth filter, I'm no longer encouraged to participate in conversation with her or her equally vapid husband.

One word. Accountability. If one learns to take responsibility for one's actions then it's understood that what happens to you in life should begin with, "how are you involved?" It's something to think about. How many words can you get out of "Evil?"

Don't you wanna slap that person, then pardon yourself by claiming the devil made you do it? If they say they don't believe you, you could insist they prove he didn't.

Lol yes!

That poor bastard must have a wanted poster offering a bajillion dollars for him... ( Eternally? Perpetually?)

I just act offended and tell I made them do no such thing, the looks alone are priceless

Some people just need a scapegoat so that they can avoid responsibility for their actions.

Yes... Yes it does.

If it don't annoy the devil, why will I be annoyed?

A big fat YES.

If the alternative is someone blaming me instead, I will let the Devil take the rap.

Gareth Level 7 July 12, 2018

It's just a need to blame someone other than themselves. They also justify an action by saying god told me to do it.

I think the Devil got a bum deal right from the get-go, and his Dad propagated some seriously bad press about him, so he keeps getting blamed and has no way to defend himself. I'll bet he wasn't such a bad guy, but he's probably pretty pissed off now.
...ya know... if he existed.

scurry Level 9 July 12, 2018

IKR! If he actually existed, I don’t think he was really a bad guy, considering how many people god killed compared to Satan and he only did it cause god gave him the permission to.

@EmeraldJewel Right. Raw Deal for Satan. There was a great graphic novel by Piranha Press: Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children => Happy Birthday To Hell.
Basically it's Satan trying to make Hell less crappy for the souls that get sent there. He bitches a bit about god and his cloven hooves, but mostly he's just trying to be cheerful and make the best of the situation.
I read it years ago and have always used it as my "go to" for Satan.

Just as bad as people blaming God for all the good things.

Ikr. It really burns me up when these patients give absolutely no credit to the doctors who made it possible for them.

Yes, usually when things go wrong it's because a person fucked up. Leave my lord out of it!

LEPeff Level 8 July 12, 2018

It certainly does Emerald; just as much as when people say things like "thank god he's alive" or thank god she was not killed in the car accident", (even though five other people were killed in the same accident) there are a thousand similar mindless exclamations used by the devout, or just plain unthinking.

Ugh! Everything you said is on point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.