Agnostic.com

53 22

How do you feel about people saying "I'm proud of my heritage", "I'm proud of being British", etc. Personally I can only be proud of something I've done, not something that happened by chance. It's like saying "I'm proud I'm a blonde". It's something that annoys me (almost as much as "god loves you no matter what).

GoldenDoll 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (51 - 53)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think you can be proud of your culture and its achievements, Whether that be Jewish, English or US or anything. Most of all you can by proud if your community does something good in the world. Even if you only played a small part. The last time I felt this was at a festival and I heard this song.

Coming from and living in Liverpool, tears rolled down my eyes as I listened. It being only a few weeks after the Hillsborough verdict. For those unacquainted with the story, 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death at a soccer match. Tabloid newspapers (most noticeably the Sun) tried to vilify the supporters themselves, blaming them for the tragedy and printed lies including robbing and urinating on the dead. This led to a campaign not only for justice but also against the Sun newspaper itself. To this day it is almost impossible to buy the most popular UK newspaper (Murdoch owned) in my city. A fact of which I feel rightly proud as it stands a shining example of how people can effect change if we stand together.

The best example that sprigs to mind is during Churchill`s second term. He was awakened early by his aid with "We have grave news prime minister".
"Are we at war"?
"No prime minister. A junior minister was arrested last night after being found with a young guardsman on Clapham common".
"It was very cold last night".
"Yes prime minister, the coldest night of the year so far"
"Makes yer proud to be British".

I think it depends if you look at your heritage with open eyes. We have a great country, not sure if it's the greatest. We done some pretty shitty things but want better for all. What a dichotomy.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12906
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.