Agnostic.com

8 5

LINK WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR? - Official Trailer [HD] - In Select Theaters June 8 - YouTube

"Won't You Be My Neighbor" is a riveting and deeply personal look at the life of the beloved Fred Rogers. I grew up watching "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood," and if Cosby was "America's Dad," then Fred was surely "America's Uncle."

After seeing this documentary, I realize that there was much more depth to the show on a sociological level than I ever realized. My only complaint is that the film focuses solely on Rogers and his show. And though it features plenty of interviews from Fred's family and surviving cast members, you don't get to know much about them. Also, plenty of show clips with Betty Aberlin, but no interviews clips with her.

Be warned, there are a couple brief clips of Mr. Rogers angry at the state of affairs in America as it relates to children, and his gaze as he stares into the camera with his thoughts is chilling.

Great documentary overall, and it will be in my collection as soon as it comes out on DVD.

jlrucilez 5 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Grew up with Mr Rogers.
Now they have an animated series that is very similar.
I watched the documentary, and even remembered some of the scenes. He just had this way of calming you, comforting you, caring about you...

I was lucky enough to watch this show in the 90s when my son was little and I was running a childcare facility with my first wife in the Seattle area. So different from all the other children's shows, so quaint and old fashioned, yet children responded so positively to it, and Fred would say things that would stay with you. It wasn't until much later that I found out more about him. He pretty much saved public television. An accomplished musician too.

Not heard of any of them.

Can say, never had the pleasure to see him operate on tv. I kind of grew up quick.

He had such wisdom and a calming effect. Other shows that succeeded his such as Barney, paled.

I saw it last week. It's a wonderful film. My favorite clip was when Mr. Rogers spoke about public television and took down Congress. I also was wondering why Betty Aberlin wasn't interviewed. I Googled her and she's still alive, she's 75 and lives in NYC. She even has a Twitter account which is current.

@jlrucilez Yes, I saw that, now I've got to go back and re-watch those films (not just for her, I like Kevin Smith's films). Forgot to mention, one of my favorite memories of the show was when Handiman Negri made the miniatures of the Land of Make Believe (or of course, that's what they said) that Mr. Rogers would take down from the shelf. I was into crafts and miniatures ever since I was little,.

It’s the best timing that a movie about him comes out right now. He’s the perfect answer to all of the bullying and hatred we are seeing these days.

Snedge Level 4 July 12, 2018

I went to grade school with his kids. One of my dad's lab Tech's husband was a cameraman on Mr. Rogers show.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:129143
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.