Agnostic.com

6 0

Why religion still exist in today's adavance era?

RaulPerez 7 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's genetic.

JacarC Level 8 July 14, 2018

Societies develop faster than individuals do.
That is why civilisation's one infinite resource is an unending supply of gullible idiots.

I think it's part of our evolution, and the brain evolves slowly.

Are we REALLY so advanced?

@RaulPerez yeah we've come a long way with science, but humanity as a whole has barely advanced. We still have nazis, racists, sexists, America is heading towards prerevolutionary France economics....

Indoctrination, tribalism, confirmation bias, ignorance, etc., etc.

Because we have only been in the information age for a short time. There will be a big shift once everyone alive was born post-internet.

If it were purely a matter of being informed, I'd agree. But it's also a matter of paying attention to and caring about information and its veracity.

@mordant that's true, but you're putting the cart before the horse. It's difficult to care about information when you haven't had access to it. Once information is commonplace, the mysteries of magic have fewer places to hide.

It's like saying someone should "care about nutrition" when they are starving. They'll eat anything, even if it's unhealthy. First the food has to be abundant, then they can focus on what's healthy and what food they should turn away.

@DustinFL Point taken, but for a preview of how resistant fundamentalism is to actual information, consider that (1) many of them just discard anything that disagrees with the Bible, and in fact are encouraged to do so; (2) they have their own web sites to distribute disinformation and conspiracy theories and the like. Indeed, even pre-internet, they had their own publishing houses to put their "alternative facts" out into the world. And they still have those, too. Echo chambers we shall always have with us.

Given the impervious nature of the FundaShield of Determined Ignorance, I would say it's going to be a multigenerational thing peeling them away. Their young will go to university and deconvert, for example.

This is exactly why I predict Christian Fundamentalism will achieve fringe status in another 3 to 6 generations, and the Abrahamic faiths and other major religions will not get there for another millennium or so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:129470
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.