Agnostic.com

18 2

Do you think that some people just pretend to be non believers to "rebel" against parents, establishment or something else when they really just enjoy the arguments? (Like the new Emo/Grunge)

Crimson67 8 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course. I couldn't argue without receiving physical punishment so my rebelion may had been more in silence but I was not forced to go to church. Me going to private catholic school was more for the better education than the religion and I noticed that many classmates were on the same boat I was... their parents didn't cared much... it was the better education not the religion.

Teens or earlier by natural personality development assert more choices over instructed parental matters: clothes, food available in or out of home, vocabulary and phraseology WHICH INCLUDES any ritual speech or prEyer. ....I think child participation levels in school might reveal whether critical thinking is applied to family faith tradition by maturing children. ...certainly puberty is a time for rebellion from religio-sexual dictates from parents. ....and sports develop more body control than marching up church aisles to sing in kids choirs

I think it is more likely that nonbelievers lie and say they believe in order to fit in and be a part of a group.

I'm sure there are some out there that enjoy 'faking it' for the sake of argument just for the fun of it, Facebook is crawling with them.

They just want to be a "devil's advocate" to push your buttons!

Yep. I had a friend that admits she did this. So, at least 1 person 🙂

Yes, I have met people claiming to be atheists without a strong intellectual foundation that supports their views; some simply too lazy to go to church 🙂

Hating a preacher or complaing over un-answered prEyer is not close to examination of evidence for alleged gawds gott god. ...leaving Methodist attendance for astrology dalliance is NOT Atheism. ....worshipping the moon to become a lesbian is not an Atheist path out of xmas or Ishtar

It is possible. But no belief system will be able to sustain itself on such fickle foundations so they will be forced to return to what they know or to start a genuine quest for knowledge, so who really cares what the original motivation was for their personal journey? ????

I think some people on here are undecided deep down

Can't say that it is hype, some people are what would be refered to as belongers the have a need to be included, So no matter what is going on they join the hot topic and in most cases have not thought about their choice and have no idea how to back the choice up with well chosen words.

I definitely think some people, old and young, like being a rebel or counter-culture. Some people thrive on being contrarians. For that matter, one of my coworkers was reared in a nonreligious home and she became a hippie Christian, and to hear her talk it's quite obvious she did so out of some sort of rebellion and it stuck into adulthood (though I'm sure that's not how she sees it). So it seems it goes both ways.

I declared myself an atheist when I was 15 or so. For no other reason than to be rebellious.

I never declared myself, rather I was the boy who always said why about everything. I soon found out that all my questions went unanswered unlike many other questions so I just dispelled it.

Sure, oh sure the young ones do, they might not even realize that because of their youth and inexperience.... they got all the answers you know? They know everything they need to know until their "peers" find something "new".

I'm sure there are some that do, but I figure that, were one so inclined, it would be relatively easy to expose the fakers. Just engage them in a debate as the "devil's advocate." In other words, make them defend their position. I suspect that most fakers wouldn't be able to keep up.

Some,yes...alot,im not sure. You've got me thinking about those who pretend( stay with the herd) to be believers, to avoid being an outcast or ridiculed. I think there is a boatload of them!

Sorry,got a bit off topic. I have run in to that crowd of youngster that rebel and argue for kicks.

I think it's definitely possible.

Jsxwi Level 4 Jan 6, 2018

What is there to "believe"? People argue because what is proposed is just absurdly unbelievable. Sometimes the arguer just wants to test out the mettle of his/her arguments so he/she can become better at defending against the onslaught of baseless arguments thrown at them.

I think some people will do anything for drama, so yes it is possible.

Decades ago a woman insisted we meet for dating insisting of her "atheist compatibility" ....calling into my Dial An Atheist I finally accepted an invitation for home made CHILI. ....I arrived at her lovely home and insisted I sit in her dad's rocking chair. ....then she complained gawd did not stop the cancer that killed him......when I replied I hoped to marry a co-Atheist leader fighting theocracy and tax exemption her pretense to Atheism melted for her dream of a tall guy like me to hide in her closet and celebrate xmas everywhere

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13007
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.