Agnostic.com

14 1

Did you let your children go to religious activities with their friends?

My son was invited to go along on a couple of religious youth trips. Once with my brother and his church youth group to 6 Flags, and the other to an Amy Grant concert with a group from his city basketball league team. He was around 11 or 12. I was a little freaked out, but I let him go. How would you have handled it?

Tecolote 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I let him go if he asked to attend. I attended church regularly throughout my childhood and adult life and never bought what they were selling. He deserved the same chance to form his own opinion.

My daughter goes to youth group every week. She likes the free food.

I let my kids go if they want to. My daughter was invited to go to a church function at a friends church and she went. My son was invited too, but seeing as he is an Atheist he respectfully declined.

A few years ago I let my daughter go to vacation bible school with a friend and they really went to work on her. She was 10 I think. But she knows herself and isn't a push over. The last evening when they had an event I saw a woman showing her scriptures during a program. I walked over and sat down and the lady just got up without a word.

When my kids were really little our neighbors kept inviting us to go to church with them. We did out of politeness, but the kids didn’t like it. The others would say things like ‘raise your hand if you love Jesus’. I didn’t want my kids to deal with that.

I did because at the time we were all sort of religious - not having yet had the life experiences to make the decision that I had outgrown my religious belief system. I would not do this if I had to raise my grandchildren now, by any chance.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

To hold kids back from anything will just make them question. I'd be honest with them about your concerns and let them make that choice. Then...follow up when they came back.

Yes. They did a few times. It did not influence them at all.

If they want to. It's not like we are the majority. If they want to go to some church camp or something, I don't care.

At the age of ten years I was sent to Sunday School. I recall the first (and last) day there. My friend and I arrived only to find the doors closed. From behind the doors we could hear the preacher talking about hell and damnation, saying: “There will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth.” My friend and I looked at each other and then I said to him, ‘lets go fishing.’ Every Sunday thereafter we went fishing..

I let my daughter go to church every week. Of course she is 31 so....

I think what you did was right. It's their decision to make not ours whether to believe in god or not.

Yes. I encourage my daughter to think for herself.

I do the same to my son

I would chaperone @ that age group take notes and cite evidence of Amy Grant lies and irrationality back home discussing with my daughters as for 6 Flags rides & cotton candy either shakes your teeth out or rots in cavities. ...have fun dance sing better words and be healthy

I love cotton candy!! 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13090
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.