Agnostic.com

14 4

What mistakes have you seen people make that they turn around and blame on God?

When I was in Bible college, my classmate Tony bought a sporty little car, the kind that some Christians would try to make a person feel guilty over for spending money on "frivolous" things when they could be giving that money to church or starving people around the world...

Shortly afterwards he made an illegal u-turn and got into an accident.

Then he got a speeding ticket.

Then he left his car unlocked, with the keys in it, at our church which was in a bad part of town. He came out and it was gone. When the police recovered it, I took him down to the impound to claim it. But it was locked and he no longer had the keys, so we had to wait for a locksmith to come out. Hours later, we finally get into the car and it won't move because the thieves killed the transmission.

Despondent, Tony sadly exclaimed, "I don't think God wants me to have this car."

BackToReality 6 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What successes have people have had that you've seen them give credit for to a god? I see this much more often than someone blaming a god really...

What really gets me is when believer lives a charmed life,and when some one close to them dies they say they stoped following their religion or are mad at god .This is like a spoiled brat. As soon as they do not get what they want they start whining . Why were they not mad when the rest of the worlds population has been suffering in the background

A very good example is talk show host Bill O’ Reilly when a few months ago he said he was mad at God after he got fired for sexual harassment . This was such a ridiculous statement . This can be viewed on YouTube . Its hilarious

Wow. I missed that. Thanks for sharing! Great example. So sad.

That's a great question, Me I blame God, may as well he's never gonna get back to me ...

Good call. Blame someone who isn't around to defend themselves 😉

The most horrifying are those who commit crimes against children, then ask for forgiveness when they "find God".

I have an old acquaintance who goes to the Assembly of God church. A year ago she goes to the local shooting range and for some reason takes off her ear protection and leans forward. The guy beside her doesn't pay attention or doesn't give a shit and lets go with a 357. It blew her eardrum out on that side. When she tells the story it's: "It was God's will." Her god is an asshole but she can't seem to understand that.

gearl Level 8 Jan 6, 2018

It's amazing how often God's will coincides with the natural and inevitable consequences of our carelessness. Sorry to hear about your friend, though.

He did some dumb things with this car:

1. illegal u turn caused accident
  2. speeding ticket
  3. left car unlocked with keys in it in bad area

Excuses for his mistakes

Death of a Loved One. That is always a tough deal, specially for those not equip to handle it because been too busy believing in god and/or religion. I have to tell my sister today... do you think you are going to find your dead husband in the afterlife? If there is reincarnation he already got debriefed and may be a 2 weeks old girl in Taiwan for all we know.... Because We Don't Know. Your time with him was here... right now, and it ended. You will never get to find him again. soul or not soul.

I have never once witnessed it.

God seems to get credit win sports teams win but not the blame when they lose. I'd love to see a losing coach, during an interview, say, "and screw you God for having the other team win". Can we use the "f-bomb" in here. It would have been funnier, or less lame.

haha. Can you imagine the reactions? Hm... if we raise enough money, I'm sure we can bribe a coach into doing this.

You name it. People are wiling to lay virtually any mistake at god's feet or give him the blame to escape and/or escuse their own responsibility or actions.

God knows !

You name it, I've heard it.

Even as a Christian, I just wanted to slap him. "yeah, Tony, I don't think those thieves wanted you to have that car either."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13179
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.