Agnostic.com

21 0

How did you become an atheist and at around what age??

Don71 5 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my case I never had a religion. My father was a freethinker and raised me the same way. We were just encouraged to read and think and were allowed to make our own minds up. I think I am extremely fortunate.

You don't become... is not a religion!

You have to become something when you become self aware and question the elusive “why?”. Religion has existed long before you existed, so probability would say there was a high likelihood you knew something of the matter regarding god or gods. So you had to at some point consciously decide not to believe in something humans have believed for millinias.

@Seajay88 I know Murderers.... that does not make me a murderer... I attended as a child and as a young adult Catholic Schools... That did not make me a Religious. Oh the ignorance of the young! Never stop to amaze me, never!

@GipsyOfNewSpain there are many problems you face which murder is a viable option, you actually have to choose not to murder, for some of us it’s an easy choice. There was nothing ignorant with my comment.

At 30, I think it’s safe to assume I’ve had enough life experience to speak on simple matters such as this. Don’t patronize my perceived age, that is ignorance.

@Seajay88 You see? you just proved my point... murder is not a viable option regardless the experience... You don't know jack, but keep asking questions. Others rather live our lives and experience our journey. We are good.

I see that many of you became an atheist at a very young age or just didn't grow up religious. This is quite interesting and surprising. I no longer believed in God when I was maybe around 17-18 years old but maybe deep down inside I always knew that religion was a sham.

Don71 Level 5 July 16, 2018

I grew up religious and my deconversion was a slow process that began in my late 30s and was not fully complete until my late 40s. On an overall basis (here and other sites) my impression has been that the majority of atheists are deconverts from some religion or other and that my deconversion was on the late side.

The question of whether we deconverts "knew deep down" it was a sham is an interesting one. Though I didn't recognize it at the time, in retrospect I harbored some (heavily repressed) doubts. But most Christians, among themselves, will confess to some doubts and accept them as a normal part of their faith.

Besides, the Bible expressly promotes the circular reasoning that if anyone leaves the faith, they were never really in it anyway, and that sort of denialism is just a facile part of their resistance to the idea that atheism could in any way be a considered, sober view. To them it must be reactionary and irrational and confused and hateful or they'd have to acknowledge the possibility, however remote, that they could be wrong.

Probably when I was old enough to think on my own, so around 4? Religion never made sense. I didn’t listen to my parents, and they are real, why would I listen to some people who swear a god is real because they said so?

Also I paid attention in school when we talked about mythology. ?

I wasnt raised with religion, as a kid i met people that were, i was quite curious. The most i got was from my dad saying basically, if there is a god, shes an obese black woman because wouldnt that be fitting with how shitty everyone is. I went to a vacation bible school around 7 or so cuz my bestie always went every summer. They told her parents i couldnt return because i asked too many questions. That when i completely wrote off mentally the "god" possibility

SuziQ Level 4 July 16, 2018

Typical religious bible thumpers that don't know how to refute questions/arguments.

Damn your dad is/was racist

@Seajay88 he meant it in the way of so many are shitty to obese people, women and people of color so god would totally be all of those rolled into one and hateful as fuck of how shitty we are. To hell with everyone! I could have worded it better above, i was kinda high.

I can’t remember the exact age. I’d always held an innate naïveté to life. I thought “God” and spirituality provided a comfortable explanation for the things that happened which couldn’t be readily explained.

As I got older though I found myself dismissive of God and then openly hostile. I found the idea of a vindictive, emotionally needy, psychotic, totalitarian, sky daddy abhorrent.

I suppose it was only in my early 20’s I would openly call myself an atheist. Not because I sought division amongst my peers but because I couldn’t morally stand by either gross indifference or petty meddling from an unaccountable being.

During my teenage years — a fairly gradual process, accelerated by reading Fred Hoyle's The Nature of the Universe and learning science. But the seed of doubt was probably planted when I found out the truth about Santa, embarrassingly soon after telling a friend that I believed in him. Why was God any different? Assurances from my mother that he was altogether different were only a temporary reassurance. (I've written about this at greater length in some of my comments on other posts.)

Coffeo Level 8 July 16, 2018

If Santa collected instead of distributing there would be at least one religion propagating his worship as real and serving him by doing the collecting..

I had always questioned religion from am early age. For example, how the world could be populated by just two people. It just isn't genetically possible to accomplish. There was a period where I put my questioning aside, mainly to please my mom, but it was always there noticing the inconsistencies. It wasn't until I went to college that I finally broke away and let the questioning take over. I had always noticed how unfair this world was and question how a supposedly loving God could inflict cancer and pain on young children. How can a loving God have that as apart of his loving plan? That made absolutely no sense to me. That's when I realized that there cannot be a God because that was the only reason that would explain childhood cancers and diseases. What also never made any sense to me was that this planet has been here for over 4 billion years. Why would this god character create a universe and then sit back and not touch it until around 6 to 4 BCE until approximately 33 CE? Why all the billions of years of non intervention? Not only that, why interact with only a small portion of the world? There are so many other areas in the world that thus God character could have made himself known, but no, just in the middle east. Then why no more intervention after that? I think the world during WW1 could have used an intervention, or what about the Holocaust? Why would he let over 6 million of his supposedly chosen people be exterminated?

There were just too many questions and inconsistencies that had no answer to them. So, I would say I had the thought process of an atheist at a very young age, but fully embraced it when I was about 18 or 19.

After leaving the Mormon church in my early thirties.

Not a huge epiphany or tipping point for me, was more an organic type of thing but in my 30s I’d say.

PDF Level 5 July 16, 2018

I was 11 and going to a private “Christian” school when one day I was shamed for having icons in my church. I was raised Greek Orthodox and attending a southern baptist school. Ever Wednesday was assembly and in front of the entire school was called out. I lost my beliefs that day and asked my parents to transfer me to public school. They said no so I got myself kicked out. Have questioned everything even more after that.

I knew I wouldn't be a theist when I was introduced to religion while recovering in a hospital at the age of 6 after suffering from multiple seizures, a coma and memory loss.

mt49er Level 7 July 16, 2018

as a kid i was in foster care and i saw the back stabbing and hypocrital behavior of members and everytime i met a "good christian family" they were opposite behind closed doors

I'm not so sure that you "become" an atheist per se. It's more like you are raised to believe a certain paradigm. You accept because it you are young and you are told to. All along you had a nagging feeling that the questions you asked
were never being answered. satisfactorily. Then when you get out on your own and can ask questions from sources other than those your were typically surrounded by, you realize that you were aware all along that you already knew the answer to your questions yourself. It's more of an "awakening" or a "realization" than a becoming.

t1nick Level 8 July 16, 2018

Well said ?

I was never a believer. the only times I've been to a church was for a funeral, or a wedding.

I grew up around oppressive Mormons who pressed me to become Mormon. My mother was non-religious and didn’t press the issue. The pressure and being part of the poor led me to be anti-thetical, which eventually resulted in me being atheistic. That was about eleven.

I grew up with a mother who doesent idetify as christien or any religious instatutions but his really spiritual and by the bible wich at times can get on my nerves being that she constently brings the bible up or says that it is only cause im young that i don't believe and that i will one day etc but as far as i can tell i never really did i always was on the side of logical critical thinking even as a kid but i started voicing my none believing around 7 years old
and my mothers even if shes says she respects my belif or lack there of never whats to talk about how i see the world or brings it all back to god in away i find it both funny and closeminded

Without any outside pressure I was born without any religious fantasies. There was nothing to change that until I started at a very backwards (by UK standards) high school. They tried to choke me on christianity, but it was too late. I'd already believed and then rejected the santa thing and the logic couldn't be swayed.

Salo Level 7 July 16, 2018

When I was a zygote is when it all began. There were a few misguided notions accepted before my capacity to evaluate reality became fully developed, bit unlike so many who were permanently crippled, I survived.

The delusions were only temporary.

Political delusions were tougher because they mix with a few things one can actually see and hear. So, lying and misleading by political gurus is more complicated but no less exploitative and duplicitous.

Crippling political religions operate on a deeper fear level than those propagated about the next world because people can see some actual Hells many places on earth. The scare factor more easily distresses the cattle and causes lots if stampedes and suspicion within the herds.

Indepent thought still has some escaping to do.

When I started working a full-time job.
I realized it was bullshit.

Its when you look around and start seeing all the suffering and hate in the world and see nothing being done about it except for trying to profit off of it, thats when I knew there was no god, and I was probably 10/11ish.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:131935
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.