Agnostic.com

8 0

Utopian or Dystopian?

Lets say the whole of humanity expunged religion how can we retain religion from being extinct? And how(In your opinion) can we (Agnostics,Atheists and the like) despite our rather huge disadvantage in numbers over theists can combat and hopefully one day rid.the world of.their dogmatic rule?

AronFajardo 3 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If theism was eradicated some would come up with another scheme to exploit others. Religion is just one tool in the human primate's arsenal.

I think AI will a role in our shedding of faith. Religion doesn't fit well in any logical algorithm, so the lack regular application in daily lives because we will be so reliant on AI that religion could disappear. I'm essentially saying that we get distracted rather easily, particularly when it comes entertaining ourselves, so religion likely won't be a very strong distraction as tech advances.

dokala Level 7 July 21, 2018

Squirrel!

I’m not sure religion will die out. Religions are already throwing away the parts that are contrary to modern values. Hopefully, what religion remains will concede to science and equality. I can deal with belief in an honest and loving god.

I'm a bit concerned about the confrontational aspect of the post. Sounds like a similar ideology that spawned the rise of C20th Nazism with a Master Race v Unclean sentiment. The dogmatic rule changes hands, nothing more. It is naive to think that one dogma will not be replaced by another.

" If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."
--Voltaire

Formal religion has been eliminated or drastically reduced in many places at various times, but it always springs back. I think that the religious impulse is embedded in human nature and is our highest and best attribute, but it is often corrupted and misused for ego purposes.

I feel that religion is embedded in our consciousness due to education and tradition. It has been that way as a means of control by those with responsibility for governing our societies. One would hope that the more 'civilised' we become that the need for a belief in a mythological higher authority will diminish. Society can then be 'ruled' by law. However, laws will have to be introduced so as any corruption is answerable to the law and seen to be answerable.

@JB4now What you are speaking of is Westernised contemporary religion. Until C17th what we refer to as religion was a way of life. No difference in cultures between King/God figureheads. There will always be authority, and so it must be to prevent anarchy. To consider the cycle of Aristocracy (Philosopher Kings) to Tyranny see Plato's Republic (Book VIII). The problem is not didactic religion but the way in which authority is executed.

Won't happen. Religion will always be around. Ignorance will never be eradicated.

Is education the answer? Rome was not built in a day!

@JB4now I honestly don't believe humanity will survive long enough to breed and educate it out of people.
We've been here this long, have made remarkable strides in science, technology, and all areas of education, AND there are STILL those who stubbornly insist that there are gods, theirs is the ONLY one, and anyone who doesn't believe is going to Hell.
Seriously. Do you really think we're going to be able to eradicate those delusions?

@KKGator I think the problem lies at the upper echelon of the society. The 'intelligentsia'. Those that 'know'. Those that whose interest is in state capitalism which could not survive without keeping people ignorant of reality in fear that chaos would ensue? But I do believe that it is only a matter of time until the philosophy of the west overtakes the philosophy of the east and thus all will be solved. The problem is western state capitalism, the answer is universal true capitalism? Everything always comes back to the punt, pound, dollar etc?

@JB4now I have no illusions that we'll ever be rid of religion.
It serves the powerful.

I do not think it will ever happen, we being the humans that we are. Minimizing the harm it does is about all I hope for.

Unfortunately as long as the philosophy of 'we just don't know' about Gods or not is used by our educated class it will be difficult to change. Our future generations need to be educated in the philosophy of what we do know at the moment?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:133718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.