Agnostic.com

6 0

This has always been a mystery to me. The Rosetta stone is a translation to modern explanation. What would have occurred to make thousands of people to ignore their written language and abandon their written heritage?

azzow2 9 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Imperial collapse. For the Egyptians the loss of empire to invasion and then to the collapse of the Western Roman Empire would do it. Also written Greek was both the official language of their conquerors and a more efficient script. Europe came very close to losing writing when Rome dropped the ball. It was saved, I hypothesise, by the fact that the Alphabet is such an efficient system. All of which makes the accomplishments of the Chinese more spectacular.

I agree with @Jnei. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

You can say the same thing about the English. Just look at Olde English and modern English. Very, very different.

Fela ungelîc sôðlic 😉

Assimilation of the population? Demographics change.

The Rosetta Stone features two ancient languages - Ancient Egyptian in hieroglyphs and Demotic script, and Ancient Greek - with no modern languages appearing on it (it'd be surprising if it did, since the inscriptions were created in 196BCE).

Languages are sometimes abandoned, however. In most cases, this is because a culture is invaded by another, or simply overwhelmed by a larger or more dominant culture - as was the case with Native American languages, Celtic languages such as Welsh, Cornish and Breton, and various others. Fortunately, many of the languages that looked set to vanish over the last few centuries have been preserved and in some cases have even made a comeback - it's not uncommon to hear Welsh spoken in Wales now, whereas 50 years ago it had almost died out.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

Well said. 🙂

@betpaq Thank you 🙂

I remember when Louisiana was trying to eradicate the Cajun language to the point that schools used corporal punishment if a student was caught talking it. I really wish I had learned it from my grandfather when I had the chance (he was full-blood Cajun and still spoke it when his sisters visited). At the time I had no desire to learn it, and now he's passed on.

@kiramea The same was true of Welsh - it was banned in schools, and pupils heard speaking it would be subjected to corporal punishment and forced to wear a wooden board with "Welsh not!" carved into it around their necks.

@kiramea

In Canada they did the same in residential schools they force the natives to attend. PM Trudeau recently apologized for it and promised reparations. The stories of abuse are heartbreaking. 😟

time and illiteracy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13395
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.