Agnostic.com

18 3

Ever been discriminated against because you were a non-believer?

Very few of us live in communities where a KNOWN atheist, agnostic, or even skeptic could get elected to a political office. I think that same sentiment also impacts your ability to get the job, promotion, loan, etc. Have you ever been denied an opportunity because someone knew you were a non-believer?

Tecolote 7 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am just a non believer, not an atheist.
My last three girlfriends in a row, dumped me because, I could not be saved.

Lost construction contracts over not being a believer. Religion is the greatest divided seed out there after Nationaism.

I have had quite a few uncomfortable moments for sure. I was taking a philosophy class, and in private, I went to my professor's office to talk to him and told him I am atheist. I didn't realize this would really piss him off. During the next class, he made it a point to give some stupid allegory about a donkey who was surrounded by multiple stacks of hay, but could not decide what to eat from, so he died. This is what happens to atheist. Speaking directly to me in front of everyone. What a freaking idiot. I had another theist Professor berate me in front of class as well.

However, I have seen some atheist teachers ridicule Christians in front of class before as well.

I felt like I was judged never actually discriminated against. I would never Discriminate against a believer but I would judge them as well . I am pretty vocal about my positions so it is a testament to the tolerance of the american people were we can live in peace in many 3rd world countries we would have problems. Jail, execution, targeted terrorism.

Fired from job for objecting to violently offensive inter-company emails distributed company wide (jokes aimed at atheists). Fired from job for not attending daily morning prayer 'breakfast' (on my own time and coin to boot). Refused housing at a VA facility because "I did not know God". The list goes on but these are the ones that still irk me. And yes before you say it, I should have sued.

Mayor Bud Clark Portland Oregon American Atheist CongressMember Pete Stark California Governor Colbert Olsen California President Abraham Lincoln

Many times

turf Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

I wouldn't say it's ever affected a job or interview (I tend not to bring it up unless asked), but there was this one moment at my college. I was waiting for classes and somewhat bored, so I looked at a display one of the students had set up on rap music and its effect on the community (as well as public perception). They asked me a few questions, and for the sake of killing time, I decided to contribute. A few questions later and I notice the panel on religious content. Red flag! Just then, the woman showing the display asked, "So how has rap music affected your relationship with God?" "Actually," I respond, "I'm an atheist." So then she drops, "Oh, so you don't have any morals to begin with?" "What the hell are you-" "You don't follow God, so you can't have morals. You can just do whatever without consequences, but unless you turn to God, you" (At this point I just walked away with her shouting behind me about how I was going to murder someone and go to hell or something). So yeah, fun talk.

Duh, yes xians and jews ban us honest Atheists from advancing in any business or social setting WITH BIGOTED GLEE

I'vr been smart enough to read the environment and bury my nonbelieving status. However, my daughter was not so lucky. She had a friend forbidden by her parents to stay friends with my daughter due to our not being christian. Also, a high school teacher, upon my daughter asking about nonreligious persecution, sent my child to the hallway and told her to never speak to the teacher or in class ever again. It's harsh down here in the south.

Zster Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

Not sure I have ever been actively discriminated against for my beliefs or lack thereof, but i have had it used as an insult thrown at me. Like: "You atheist. You're going to hell." Well, I guess I would have to believe in hell to have that really hit home.

Once. I live in a high percentage Mormon town and was passed over for an inspection position. A few years ago the school needed a teacher and a lady with good credentials applied and was turned down while they hired a woman who had zilch for credentials but was Mormon. The first lady sued and won a significant award.

gearl Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

yep-just recently. The VFW Auxiliary will not permit me membership because this veteran AND veteran's daughter AND former active duty spouse is an atheist. Formally. They discussed this issue at their national conference even last year and still deny nonbelievers!

@Tecolote gawd & country is enforced @ American Legion....duh these theocratic pricks R NOT giving an inch away from McCarthyism

The last company I worked for actually had Christian philosophy in its manifesto. I faced criticism from superiors at a National Sales Training at their headquarters in Temple, TX. I was too vocal and didn't blend with the other participants. Within ten months of being with the Company I got sick and they forced me into early retirement at 58.

Jews and Atheists get a clue Jeebush Geehobah GhostHoles is in charge

Yes. I grew up in SLC. If you weren’t Mormon, you were a second class citizen. I was treated differently in school, by the police and college.

My first answer was going to be yes. But an acquaintance of mine likes brown women better than blondes; does he discriminate against blondes? I don't think so, or at least I wouldn't say it is wrong. Some people don't like me anymore because I am no longer a believer, and I am not sure if that is immoral discrimination or just social preference. And no, I have not been denied professional or commercial opportunities due to my lack of belief.

Nah. Closest experience would be getting rejected by a date who learnt I wasn't Christian. I have no issue dating a Christian, despite being agnostic.

No never.Atheism is the norm for most Brits.

Not sure about discrimination because that can often not really be proved, but I certainly have felt a distinct frostiness from time-to-time, most often from my family. I don't really share my status freely.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13405
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.