Agnostic.com

11 3

New here. I'm a small town Agnostic, toeing that thin line between Agnosticism and Atheism. When I say "small town," I'm talking population around 600 people. I'm also a lesbian so I might as well have arrived in this town via UFO as far as anyone else is concerned. I happen to work at the local public high school where there are bibles in a majority of the classrooms and bible quotes everywhere. Pretty much I am constantly surrounded by religion. Anyone else out there in the same boat? Curious to hear other stories!

HSZ3399 3 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I raised my grrls in Warrensburg, Mo and just recently relocated. While it is a college town (UCM) The townies are largely Repubs and Religious. I fought nearly every year for my kids right to sit out the pledge as well as took on a teacher that pointed out "god's country" on a map and proceeded to bash my daughter when she told her that is not how every child believed. In effect leading the bullying that followed.

We have a population of about 45,000 marines alone here. The total population is 67,784 as of 2016. That's the main part of town. The part I live in, which is 15 mins from town, the population is 15,603, the town next to mine which is where a lot of the people that go to the main part and is part of the workforce is 3,173 in 2016. So, we've basically got a population of 86,560 that probably more than half of them are religious. I live in the bible belt. There are churches everywhere and so many religious people. It is so annoying. But it's okay, we got barber shops, tattoo shops, bars and strip clubs to even out the church number! LOL.

Thanks, everyone! I should clarify that I live close to a larger "city" of about 20,000 where I have many accepting friends, and also my family who is accepting and share some of my religious beliefs. So, I'm not alone. I moved to this smaller town because the housing market is cheap. I'm not looking to escape or anything. Just wanted to see if anyone else finds themselves constantly surrounded by Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

It's interesting to me to hear stories from people who are from large cities. Religion in public schools is so commonplace here that probably every school within a 200 mile radius would have to be sued. Although, the governor of Kentucky just recently signed a bill allowing the teaching of the bible in public schools.

I'm looking forward to a lot of good conversation here and thanks again for all of the replies!

No worries - you are in good company here in Idaho🙂

Those school should be reported to the Board of Education. Religion is not allowed in public schools.

Wow, that would be hard, on all fronts. Hang in there.

sounds intense

Aside from sexual preference, your story sounds exactly the same as mine. Hang in there. You'll get out one day. I live in Denver now.

My mom's funeral was my final day in the town I grew up in. Aside from keeping up on Facebook with how the local sports teams are doing and finding out what musical the "drama" (not speech and theater) department is doing, I really have no more interest in what's happening in my home town.

It’s ok. I’m a lesbian as well.

Huh??

Ya know, I prefer women. ????

@Gatovicolo it's a horrible joke that annoys many women. As you don't mean it as it comes across. Which is that you are female that has romantic inclinations for female.

Welcome to the sanctuary where you can relax and just be yourself. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

Welcome and may you find here a sanctuary to your little town.

Not in that boat but welcome to our freethinker community.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.