Agnostic.com

10 0

What do you collect or what are your hobbies/interests?

HeyHiHullo 7 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Singing and movies

I race sailboats most weekends. Though, since I just moved from Texas to New Jersey, I'm off the water until this spring and I find a new boat/team to join on the East coast. I most recently competed in the J/105 North America Championships in Houston before Halloween. I completed the most recent running of the Newport to Bermuda race and will do the Chicago-Mac race for the second time next year.

Music. From Frank Sinatra to Motorhead to Sia. Huge Pink Floyd fan of course.

I used to run a photography business. Now I just shoot for myself. But I've got the good gear and know what to do with it.

I look forward to getting my house sold in Texas and get out this apartment and back in a home. I'll get my telescopes back.

I am generally a giant science nerd, especially physics, but chemistry, biology, evolution, geology, I'm in for all.

I bought a used 2007 Corvette Z06 as a project car not quite five years ago. It is already on engine number 3 in that time. Current build is an RHS 502 built as a tall deck LS7. (yes an 8.2 liter smallblock) Dual disk race clutch, carbon driveshaft, coil over suspension. This car I'm keeping forever and just keep upgrading. I do all the work myself.

I've long been involved in racing of all types. Most recently motocross and offroad. Doc says I can't do that anymore, so I don't. But I'll track the Vette occasionally in the future, but not seriously. It would get too expensive. I'll catch an HPDE when they come to one of the local road race courses.

And I like flying kites.

There are a number of other expensive hobbies I may pick back up some day when set one of these down. Skydiving, flying, skiing, radio control everything, and scuba.

I've barely started learning to surf. And I really want to hang glide some day.

Something I don't do much of, watch TV.

I collect books (new and old), mostly Science Fiction, and some classics. I also collect Star Wars and Star Trek stuff.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 9, 2018

SW, vintage, potf2, or the newer stuff?

YARN and uhhhh more yarn... I also gather antiques and books. Too many books, too much yarn and soooooo little time. 🙂

Are your yarns oral also?????

Do you have any antique books about yarn?
=P

@FrayedBear wooosh... don't get that comment...

Lol @HeyHiHullo my play with words. Ad4hubby possibly uses woollen yarns as in knitting but is not clear? I use yarns to pass on information and entertain hence I ask her with my tongue in my cheek if her yarns are oral also. 🙂

Just wool, silk, cashmere, cotton, bamboo, mohair, acrylic... those sorts of yarns 🙂

Pre 1955 poetry books, any year cds and vinyl records. None for collectibility but for public performance on radio or stage.

Have any information on Poe "The Bells" as I've found numerous varations on them but all say 1881.

*variations

@HeyHiHullo next time im in the study I will have a fossick in some of the reciters and see what if anything is said. I'm not sure if I have anything dedicated to Poe. Do you have any urls where you have discovered variation? I often wonder about some sites and have long suspected that they make minor change to words in order to claim copyright on the poems just for reproducing them. A photo of Poe's handwritten manuscript of course is the only way to conclusively identify his words and sometimes publishing editors change them between manuscript and publication.

@FrayedBear here are some other versions of the book in question. I have some not listed.
[m.ebay.com]

@HeyHiHullo thanks for the EBay url I have never used it. Postage is becoming astronomical so my buying is usually limited to local shops ... sadly a lot of people are ditching their books.
When I suggested urls I thought that you must have accessed different copies from people like the Gutenberg library who have a wonderful collection of poetry books or sites like Poemhunters.

I play D&D, and I have a decent coin collection mostly composed of foreign coins.

I dabbled in foreign coins as well, primarily key dates of various countries and WWII German coins (find them fascinating, plus they'll be 100 years old in another 15-20 years, probably see price spike then)

I used to magic for a living, and I still have a love for palying cards. I still collect them to this day. I don't have too many, but I cherish the ones I do have.

Magic is always entertaining if the presenter is funny and plays off the audience.
Saw David Copperfield once at the Beau Rivage in Mississippi... kinda painful to watch as the redneck audience wasn't receptive to him or his sleight of hand illusions... mediocre to say the least.

@HeyHiHullo David Copperfield does stage illusion.

I did close up magic, more David Blaine-esque stuff.

When young I collected all sorts of things: postcards, matchbook covers, stuffed animals, etc. Later I began collecting giraffes, ethic arts, and stamps on my passport. Today I am retired. I am not actively collecting anything. I am, however, actively making art, mostly mixed media but some 3-dimensional pieces. That is my primary passion and I am a voracious reader. It's all good.

Matchbooks seems intesting item to collect, don't see them much anymore.

*interesting

@HeyHiHullo Well, I'm 72 and they used to be everywhere. I was an Air Force brat and I got around. My mother threw my collection out a long time ago. Threw my postcard collection out as well. Today I could make money on it. I had postcards from every state and from loads of countries. I even had one from the Byrd Antarctic expedition. Oh Momma.

@Nanart ebay would have been your friend with those items!

I used to collect coin and notes, but it turned out being a quite expensive hobby (especially when you're a teenager). I still do it time to time when I found a coin I really love. For instance, I collected all the state quarter dollars when I was in the USA. Now I make jigsaw puzzles 😛

Some of the Morocco coins are very beautiful and ornate!
I like a few if the square ones from the Netherlands too.

Books. Sci-Fi mostly, but also esoterica, like occult and masonic publications.

Would you say Masons are a Religous cult?

Any Sci-Fi in particular?

A "cult" usually requires a charismatic leader and unthinking followers. The Masons are virtually the opposite due to the fact that there are no followers, only leaders, and rigorous, critical thought and questioning is encouraged above all else.

I'm still on an Asimov kick.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13466
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.