Agnostic.com

19 3

Minimalism...Is less really more?

For those of you who practice Minimalism, would you take a moment to explain how living this lifestyle has changed your life?

Iamnissa 5 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think I am probably an inbetweeny on this one.I tried . As a creative artist i have lots of art materials which don't really go together plus the accoutrements of easels spinning wheel, knitting needles etc. sewing machine, weaving loom, felting equipment silk painting -etc -

and I live in sheltered accommodation so really only one small room to keep it all in - I also get a lot of library books given to me by the library van man about once a month - so its hard to practise minimalism with a lot of things that don't go together easily - Believe me I have tried.

At 70 years old I have a hard time remembering where I put stuff and so have to use a whiteboard to write plans on .

So I tried but can't really make it work

jacpod Level 8 July 22, 2018

No 'stuff' to cart around!

I occupy a room in a family member's house. I'm single and aging. Do I need more? No. In my one room palace I have a laptop, a TV that I stream music through as well as shows, a tablet that was a gift and an Xbox for when I'm bed ridden. (Back) I'm an introvert so this is perfect for me. Simple and humble.

Normally, when we move, we bring along many, many Rubbermaid bins, some of which haven't been touched since the move before that. Then my other half moved cross country with only what he had in his car. I later followed, with two suitcases, two cat carriers, and two cats. We had a few Rubbermaids when we moved back, but were lucky to find a furnished place - so we have everything we need and very little that we don't. We aren't minimalists by any stretch, but I appreciate not having a lot of 'stuff' laying around collecting dust.

My kitchen is something of an exception, as in my bookcase. Just can't shake the need for cooking stuff and 'real' books.

Im rather minimalist in the possessions category with the exception of books (although I am working on this). My kitchen consists of a few pots and one pan, a steamer, a few mugs and bowls, and a beautiful tea-kettle my minimalist friend gave me when she left. Regarding books, she said to try the library.

I am working on getting down to traveling weight.
Been doing my mid-life cleaning for more than twenty years. Got more now.

But, we been working on having less stuff to think about and take care of. Good thing donation, and recycling, and distribution are easy these days.

JacarC Level 8 July 19, 2018

I think minimalism is not always about less but sometimes a more efficient use of space. As we get older and are more financially secure capitalism teaches us to buy new stuff either because we don't have it or want a better one. It also encourages us to buy bigger houses with more space that we don't necessarily need or even use but it comes with prestige and status.

IMO minimalism is less about a different way of life but more about a more fulfilling way of life. I don't treat stuff as a goal, I treat life experiences as my goals.

This is a really good question.

For those of you who do this, what kinds of things - besides the OBVIOUS - do you not consume, have or do?

I can already imagine you don't live in McMansion and have 60 pairs of shoes, but what is your limit on myriad other things? What is the limit on the number of pairs of shoes you'll own?

Do you have gadgets, computers, iPads (and the like)?

Do you limit how many drinking glasses and pieces of flatware you have?

Do you use only one pot/pan to cook with?

What are some things that would be off limits for purchase to YOU as a minimalist?

If you have a yard, does it mean it doesn't get mowed? Do you plant flowers?

If you don't buy trash bags, where do you put trash?

Do you use baking soda to brush your teeth or toothpaste?

Do you use handkerchiefs instead of tissues? Cloth napkins instead of paper towels?

I am genuinely curious.

@Exterminis Thank you! I look forward to hearing from others about how they do it too!

Phone -TV - Stereo
2 glasses 4 sets of flatware
Micowave - toaster oven
A yacht
No yard
I use trash bags
Toothpaste
Both - paper towels
I live in a travel trailer. To live more minimalist, l would have to live in a tent, and that ain't happening.

I wouldn't consider myself a minimalist, however when I divorced last year I went from a 4 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apartment. We had lived in our house for 12 years so there was quite a bit of "stuff" to sort through. It felt really good to throw and donate things I didn't need or want. I vowed to not have so many nick nacks and things in my new place. For the most part I've stuck to that and it feels good.

I'm really noticing a change in attitude regarding having things. My parents and older generations seemed to value having a house with new furniture, carpeting and vehicles. I'm generalizing here and I know that's not everyone's experience. I think people maybe 40 and younger are decided they don't want/need all that. Just look at tiny houses. I'm not saying one is better than the other, it's just an observation.

A couple things changed my attitude about accumulating "stuff". Helping to clean out my Mom's place after she died, and realizing that most of the things she had , had little to no meaning for anyone but her. Most of us have way too much stuff, much of which is barely used.

And the realization that all the things we "own" , own us back in some way ! They always require something from us - whether it's active care (for a pet for example), or ongoing maintenance , insurance, space, maybe payments, protection, etc.

Thus, I am presently in the midst of de-cluttering, and for every item that is given away, sold, donated, thrown out, I feel that much lighter, and freer. Less to think about. Less choices to be made. I look forward to more !

Everything is our lives is just passing through, and only temporary anyway !

This was my first post guys! I appreciate all the input. You make a lady feel welcome ?.

It's not about having less stuff; that's a tactic. Minimalism is mental, its about clearing the mind to allow bandwidth for that which is really important. So less stuff, end and avoid toxic people, minimize social media time and the like.

To make the point: If your residence burned down, would you feel you "lost everything?" If so, you are not a minimalist. You lost nothing.

@CrazyQuilter Thank you.

I move alot, so I’ve never owned alot.

I downsized from a 5-BR, 3-bath house with an in-ground pool to a 2-BR 2-bath house on the edge of a sketchy neighborhood. My house payment is now less than most people's car payment. I ditched most of the stuff keeping only simple furnishings, original artworks and books and about 1/3 of my clothes. I could not be happier. The place is clean, simple, and chill. I give a portion of the extra money to kiva.org and use the rest to travel the world.

Without attaching a label to it, I have downsized due to necessity, and when I felt the freedom of that I continue/d to find ways to consume/buy less. Who needs stuff? Less clutter in the physical, as well as the philosophical and psychological realms. 🙂
Caveat - the last thing to go will be my books, and even then.... right now you'd have to pry them from my cold, dead fingers. 😀

Less things and more experiences. Connections count more than stuff.

Is that a thing now?

I tried it but went crazy trying to keep everything just so nothing looks messier than a minimalist room with things not in their place

weeman Level 7 July 19, 2018

I've a friend who is a radical minimalist. She seems to enjoy the easy nomadic lifestyle it facilitates. It has allowed her more opportunities to just pick-up and leave and discover so much more that's in her neighborhood and now across the upper USA as she is riding her bicycle from MN to Seattle.

Wow!!!

I bet it’s cheaper

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:134782
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.