Agnostic.com

5 1

Most hypocritical elements/concepts of Judaeo-Christianity for you? Me: peace, good will toward others... As in thou shalt not kill/caedere... Oh, but you know who endorsing smoting here and there, and of course the Gilgamesh et al. Borrowed "flood".

BobFenner 7 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would have to say the most hypocritical thing religious people do is to preach "love they neighbor" while dehumanizing people who are not like them. "Othering" Love your neighbor, as long as they look and think like you do.

You've got me recalling some lines of the song "Eve of Destruction"...
"Hate your next door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace"....

I encounter it nearly every day living amongst professed Christians who would not urinate on you if you were on fire.

Don't think I can like this Frayed Bear. Yikes!

@BobFenner it results in frequent aggravation, disappointment and sometimes outright discrimination and illegality. The old joke of "Q/. How do you tell a well balanced person? A/. S/he has a big chip on each shoulder!" Is often applicable ... myself included. 🙂

@FrayedBear Well, you come across as mentally-emotionally stable and intelligent. I try to ignore actions of others that are ignorant, destructive, selfish. Not up to me/us to change others... best to be like the sun, and live by example. After all, we can only be ourselves.

@BobFenner I wish that I had your sun like ability I will frequently take baits that I shouldn't. Tolstoy in his last book suggested that the man who has a successful life is the man who doesn't put his head above the parapet. I tend to be more of the Niemöller persuasion - to misquote his poem "1st they came for the mentally handicapped and I did nothing. Then they came for the homosexuals and gypsies and I did nothing. They then took away the Jews and I did nothing. I hear knocking on my door and there is no one to stand up for me." I tend to go where "angels fear to tread".

@FrayedBear Much to think about in your statements. Per Tolstoy, is that (fifth c. Athens) "a life worth living?". I could/would not be myself sans witnessing for what I believe in... yes; inclusive of NOT believing in invisible friends. No worries re folks standing up for you; count on me, others here as your cohort.

@BobFenner it was the last that Tolstoy wrote, I forget the title.It was from memory 365 advices for living by. Then he died! Thanks for the support.

@BobFenner found an url for you.
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

@FrayedBear Worthwhile: "Wisdom from such luminaries as Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Lao-Tzu, Buddha, Pascal, Jesus, Muhammad, Confucius, Emerson, Kant, Ruskin, Seneca, Socrates, Thoreau and many more" I thank you.

Jehovah destroying all the people and animals at the flood because man was wicked and he doesn't bother to really tell us what that wickedness is but you mentioned that. When my daughter decided to read the Bible she got to Lot and refused to read further. Lot offers his own daughters to the town for rape and then has sex with them himself but Hebrews calls him a righteous man.

gearl Level 8 Jan 8, 2018

Lets start with the Garden of Eden and where the mysterious wives of Cain and Abel came from?

Keeping it all in the family and naming the unnameable?
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Omnipotence/omniscience vs. "original sin":. I not only knewyou were going to do that, I am responsible for your doing it, because I made you and I made the "temptation"... But I'm mad at you for doing it anyway. Even though it's my fault. And I totally knew it was coming. So I'm going to damn you and torture you. Unless you adore me and do everything I say. Because I love you. Yeah, that makes sense. Sorry, Catholic church:nine-year-oldme smells your whackness and is not having it. After that, all the other inconsistencies were like goose poop on a landfill.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13483
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.