Agnostic.com

8 1

My mom's religious boyfriend came up with a silly theory he claims 'disproving' evolution. It goes like this:

The skulls of humankind's ancestors were much bigger as fossils show. His 'theory' explaining this is that in the book of Genesis, the first humans lived for hundreds of years and so there was more time for their skulls to grow out. Has your brain melted yet?

MrControversy 7 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

LOL... That shows a great deal of ignorance. Theories like that make me wonder if the ignorant aren't in some kind of competition in order to see who can come up with the most ignorant theories and explanations showign the least amount of knowledge possible.

Modern humans are the result fo interbreeding with at least half a dozen branches on the human evolutionary tree. It is not skull or even brain size that mattered somuch as the density of neuron connections int he brain. The larger skulls and modern smaller skulls is like how the first computers took up entire buildings, but now modern computers and even smart phones have more processing power than the computers which landed men on the moon, but are a tiny fraction of the size. More processing power in a smaller package. Human brains evolved along a similar path of a higher density of neurons (circuity) in a smaller area, although evolution is not as quick or dramatic in its progress.

Actually, yes our brains have become smaller. This is often not explained but it makes perfectly good sense. If you lived 200,000 years ago and didn't have a map you had to remember everything.

Two things have happened to make our brains smaller. They are both worth thinking about.

1. We have learned to use symbols and to store information outside of our brain. This will likely become much more dramatic as we move further into the computer age.

2. We have become civilized. My word for it is that we have become "tamed". Tamed animals all have smaller brains than their wild counterparts. Dogs have smaller brains than wolves. Cats have smaller brains than Wild cats... I like to think of myself as still not totally tamed but I know that isn't true. I'm a being that is a product of my circumstances so I'm most likely totally "tamed."

And did you hear about how the myth of Beowulf is proof that early humans lived among dinosaurs?

Reading that has made me want to bash my skull in! Lol

.............seriously.

Has he told you about dragons and unicorns?

godef Level 7 Jan 8, 2018

You don't even need to exaggerate. There's a talking donkey and snake in the bible...

The Bible also states in Genesis 1 that the Earth has a dome over it and the stars are attached to that 'firmament', and there is water above it.

They've had to make new Bible versions to get rid of that statement and took the further step of never starting a new Christian's bible study in Genesis, instead they interweave this and that to ensure the victim gets completely confused.

Gen 1.v6 states '6 God said, “Let there be a dome in the middle of the waters to separate the waters from each other.” 7 God made the dome and separated the waters under the dome from the waters above the dome. And it happened in that way. 8 God named the dome Sky.' (Common English Bible)

In most versions the 'translators' are required to put a totally different word instead of 'dome' which is the best fit to the Hebrew as the word is also present in Job and refers to a bronze casting.

The word in Hebrew is 'raqia' and is a noun. After the advent of science the translation was often changed to 'expanse' which wouldn't be much good at holding up water.

Get well involved in any part of Christianity, and Bible 'translation' is one, as is choice of books for the canon and you soon hit the fact we don't have any unique Bible nor therefore any infallible bible.

The Evangelical church I was in stated that the Bible was infallible as originally received so the bible in you hand could be wrong on pretty much anything or almost everything.

For example the Hebrew word often 'translated' as 'spirit' actually means breath. And if you look on a cold day you can see that the breath of a beast does go downward and the breath of a man does go upward. Maybe the bible wasn't so bad before they made it so religious. If you feel like it you can look up my other posts on this topic.

I can totally see how this disproves evolution. Yep. I guess you would count the rings in the skulls to see how old they are....but isn't the flat earth only 6000 years old?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13558
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.