Agnostic.com

34 13

Ghosts: To those of you who DO believe in ghosts, I ask, how does that work in your opinion?

I notice there are several members here who believe ghosts exist.

Does everyone become a ghost?
Are ghosts just those who have unresolved issues? What do you think happens to those people - do they eventually die?
What about everyone else - do you believe they die right away, or go somewhere else?

I'm trying to understand this, in some way that makes sense, from the perspective of those who actually believe they exist.

**I won't accept they do exist, so please don't mistake this post as an outreach to be convinced, by believers, that they do (for those of you letting me know there is no evidence for them). I want to understand if the believer has thought this through. And, if so, what exactly they believe and why.

Athena 8 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This never seemed to make much sense even when I was a Christian. If we went to heaven/hell when we died, how is it that so many people said their families/friends visited them as ghosts? The two ideas do seem very compatible: earth-located ghosts of past individuals vs. they should be in after-life locations.

The "solution" as my parents seemed to believe, was that most ghosts were demons. This somehow was supposed to help resolve the question.

My Mom thinks that my brother's schizophrenia is 'demons' but it doesn't make it so. There are a lot of things that science has yet to discover and quantify but there is also a mindset that is stuck in tradition that will not allow for experimentation, the same mindset that poo pooed the ridiculous idea that such a thing as microbes existed because they could not be seen by the naked eye, viruses were even more fantastic beasts that were akin to unicorns. We move forward 3 steps and back 2 steps because most of us are unwilling to accept change.

Ghosts, and gods, and demons, and angels dancing on the head of a pin, and aliens (well, maybe not aliens). Sorry, don't believe in any of it.

Casper is very friendly, just crappy movies. I'd love to hear people's responses though!

The last ghost i saw was shaped like a sphere with many lights shining. it was floating in the air and circling slowly around it's axis in front of me. when i placed my hand within the sphere it felt slightly warmer. i am not sure how long it was there, but i believed it was less than minutes it was very beautiful and relaxing. not really sure if that was a ghost, but it was neat.

I have seen ghosts, but i am not sure how interact with them. they appear in different shapes. i saw one sitting by the river as i waited for the ship around midnight. i asked him a few questions, but he never answered another person came by and spoke him we saw the ship getting nearer and the guy sitting just disappeared. the locals later explained us that a young man drowned the previous year in that area. it must have been him.

I believe, mainly because there isn't a satisfactory answer against it. Once science has a better answer, I will defer to that.

I think it's possible but only in the realm of thermodynamics whereas energy can't be destroyed. "Ghosts" in my understanding is just energy released from the passing of a living being waiting to be repurposed.
Downside to this is that in the same process could hold for the argument that dead people power your toaster. Just a random thought.

Well based upon something that was told to by mother and great grandmother about something I did as a kid, yes I do. I was too young to remember it but apparently I described my great grandmother’s grandfather perfectly down to the tiny blemish on his face.

PaulD Level 5 July 22, 2018

It's interesting to me - particularly since I embrace science - that one would ask why I "believe" in ghosts. The definition of ghost: an apparition of a dead person that is believed to appear or become manifest to the living, typically as a nebulous image. Let's just start there. Science teaches us that energy cannot be created or destroyed, right? If we are able to detect an image of a person whose energy can neither be created or destroyed, and then that image is mythologized and capitalized upon - is the detection itself invalidated? Asking for a friend.

The first crucial step in the scientific method is to have a mind that is open to asking the question 'What is this?' There was a time when science thought that 'Spontaneous Generation' was a basic tenet of biology, what naive fools we were. 😀

That whole energy conservation point is only used by people that don't understand it.

Our energy goes back to where it came from (the ecosystem/environment). The electrical and kinetic energy ceases to be produced with the end of our metabolism and what's left over disperses as heat, the potential energy stored in lipids etc is consumed by bacteria, worms, so on, or burned off into thermal energy if we're cremated. And that's basically it, that's all of our energy accounted for (in a very simplistic description).

@Rufus_Maximus Data please?

@Surfpirate So - What scientific methodology and data is there to suggest that energy cannot manifest visually?

@skye724 You are matter which is energy and you manifest visually but that said it doesn't mean that energy can't be 'seen' outside of the visual spectrum. I can tell you this though, put forward as your thesis for your PHD that you want to go ghost hunting and just see how fast that opportunity vanishes. 😀

@Surfpirate Ghost hunting is such a funny notion. I am matter and energy. So are you. Seems to me that if we all just chuck our blinders, we might be surprised at what our unfettered awareness will pick up. Reference: Apple falling on Newton's head. Connect, people, connect along less narrow channels of perception.

@skye724 Life gives order to energy. At death the energy remains but the order is lost and entropy takes over. That being said, I have experienced things that seemed very real and I am unable to explain. Life remains interesting.

@RileyStevens Right??? I love your attitude!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:137063
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.