Agnostic.com

33 1

Will you help me settle this debate with my friend: can a Christian be a freethinker?

Me and one of my oldest friends were debating this. We're both non-theists, by the way. I don't want to bias the results... so I won't say what side I'm on.

What do you think, can you be both a freethinker and a Christian?

• 23 votes
  • 38 votes
  • 10 votes
silvereyes 8 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seem a cartoon of the painting of Michelangelo. Take off of God touching a finger with Abam . Rather this cartoonist had God offering a brain to Adam. Adam waved back with his finger, no, no no.

Only partially in my view. They might not be excercising free thought in terms of their religious beliefs but they can be free thinkers when it comes to other things. Yes there's some cognitive dissonance there but still. It's not impossible.

It's fairly cut and dry to me. Based on the Webster definitions, if you are a free thinker then you can't truly practice any faith based religion.

obviously only in a limited way, they may think freely on some things?

I said, "Yes" to the poll. I know one Christian who is. People like him are rare. The majority of Christians cannot be. They are arrogant. They do not want to learn anything other than what they were taught in catechism of Sunday school.

Being a Christian REQUIRES holding specific beliefs. Free thought has no requirements, it's free. It's like when someone says "I'm a Christian because I'm a skeptic" or "I don't have enough faith to be an atheist". A skeptic is someone who does not believe a claim until there is sufficient evidence to support believing that the claim is true, and it doesn't take faith to Not believe something. And your not a free thinker if you have required beliefs and restrictions on what you can doubt, that's not freedom.

The atheist group has the greatest knowledge of all groups, about worldwide Religions.

It is why they reject to pratice Religion, and why they use it to protect themselves.

When another group knows your Religion better than you know your own Religion. That is a sure sign you lack thinking about your own core life system.

A lot of Christain’s practice religion mostly because of tradition and don’t take it that seriously so sure a Christain can be a freethinker.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13759
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.