Agnostic.com

6 7

LINK The Humanist Dilemma: Is Tolerance Intolerable? - TheHumanist.com

Tolerating despots only allows them to usurp more freedoms, injure more innocent people, and consolidate more power. Today we are witnessing very disturbing infringements on our constitutional rights, our most cherished values, and our most downtrodden fellow humans.

How can we tolerate people whose sincerely held beliefs include the conviction that certain individuals and groups should not flourish or exist because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, position on women’s rights, poverty, etc.—particularly if those people are inclined to act on their beliefs in ways that encroach on our own?

zblaze 7 July 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“How can we tolerate people whose sincerely held beliefs include the conviction that certain individuals and groups should not flourish or exist because of their race, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, position on women’s rights, poverty, etc.—particularly if those people are inclined to act on their beliefs in ways that encroach on our own?”

This is a poignant question. And herein lies a paradox—both extremes, it seems to me, view all of this as a zero sum game, and resort to similar tactics to 'hegemonize' their views and to stifle criticism. The far left and far right are closer than those of us who champion reason, moderation and consideration realize. Rather than occupying two ends of a linear spectrum, these extremes are like the two heels of a horseshoe, closer to one another than to the middle.

If this is politics then two choices. If you want democracy vote them out when you get a chance. If you want anarchy revolt with all the pitchforks you can muster. If it's not political don't engage or adapt.

Unfortunately, it took pitchforks and muskets to get our former democratic system. Revolution can bring about positive results but one must have a plan first (and not just let's get rid of the oafs in office type plan).

@JackPedigo exactly. But take inspiration from the French Revolution. Kicked out the royalty and the cardinals and what's best, neither have returned! Plucky lot the French. Where we whinge and moan they just say, in French of course "Fuck this, let's do something about it!

I try to be as un PC as possible.

How much tolerance could an intolerant tolerate if an intolerant could tolerate tolerance?

godef Level 7 July 23, 2018

Being an artist an eco village builder and Entrepreneur all my life. I pretty well had it with watching North America for 30 years continuous getting worst. I'm immigrating to Colombia for a healthier life. Some of my family and friends will come. I have run out of energy for solutions, it seem very few care or notice.

@zephr
Si, Me casé con una esposa mexicana y vivo en 3 diferentes países latinos

Very well said!! I agree..

How are you prepared for even worst to come?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:138155
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.