Agnostic.com

20 2

Have you all heard of this? I think it is an incredibly appealing idea to actually directly contribute to the betterment of the planet when it's my turn to head outta here... Let me know what you think!

[thelivingurn.com]

AsRealAsItGets 4 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We just had the huge "Eagle Creek Fire" which was so large it actually jumped over the Columbia River (about a quarter to half mile wide) to Washington. It may be a good thing to plant a few trees in the burned areas. I'll call the locla Ranger stations to see what they say about it.

The fire was started by a rich kid (late teens) who was throwing lit fireworks off the top of a cliff. Fire warning had been posted at trail heads and broadcasts on local TV and radio, but he did it anyway, like the rules didn't apply to him.

Yes, I have and it inspired me. I am not having a funeral at all, just the cremation part. about ten years ago in mid-winter when the trees were dormant I cut a couple of weeping willows branches off of the parent tree and pushed them in the ground next to a river I used to play in. they have grown really well and my ashes are going under it for no cost.

I have saved this for myself and others.
Once I visited Zermatt (Matterhorn) which is a small town in Switzerland. Cars are not allowed and the cemetery buries people in the vertical position to make better use of limited land.

My late partner signed up for the willed body program for the local university. They picked up her body and after doing research gave her ashes back to me. I planted a Pomegranate tree (her favorite fruit) in a local Labyrinth and interred her ashes. I have also signed up for the program.

My plan is to be stuffed with a grizzly bear in a copulating position then spring-loaded into a sarcophagus. 2000 years from now when archeologists uncover my tomb and trip the mechanism I come shooting out butt-f#$cking the bear with "Bang a Gong" playing on loud speakers and confetti everywhere. I figure it will set archeology back another 2000 years.

I would much rather my ashes be scattered to the wind, tossed into a body of water, or even better -- to expire in a remote, forested area and my body never be found. I don't want to be confined, even by a bio urn. Ultimately, I want my remains to be recycled by nature. No embalming, no burial in a box in a vault, none of that.

Let me return to nature so my remains can continue to participate in the circle of life. I think it's cool to think that parts of my former self might be integrated into an eagle, a wolf, a spider, a wildcat, or who knows what -- or all of the above, for that matter.

Seems more reasonable than purchasing a casket and headstone or building a mausoleum.

looks like a great idea. I see things like this posted here and there more frequently.

There's also a thing where you can have your un-embalmed body put into a bag with the roots of a sapling, and planted. Cement shoes (sotospeak) and dropped into the ocean to become an artificial reef. Urn of ashes shot into space. There's a million of 'em.
I like the idea of donating my body to a medical school. Once they're done with the cadaver, they cremate the remains, and send the ashes onto whomever you have designated.
There are numerous alternatives to the traditional embalming and burial. Thank goodness, too!!! The planet doesn't need more dead bodies taking up valuable real estate.

Did you see my comment above?

I plan on being buried in my backyard.

In most places that is illegal. In Seattle there is a law that there has to be a lead lined grave. Too many chemicals in our bodies can leech out and pollute the water table.

Cremation takes a lot of fuel which adds carbon to the atmosphere. Plant some trees and do something else with your body. There are some nice ideas here.

Though I am older now , my body is either donated to science for slicing and dicing or it will be buried in green fashion, I will not allow my body to be prevented from returning to where it once came, It is all about energy and the eternal existence of our atoms

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

I am now looking into green burial, We merely wrap the body in a blanket or what ever and leave it there to decompose. I love this thought, My body was given life via nature, Mother nature sacrificed animals for me to eat , she gave me air and water and a chemical interior allowing my body to live and age, Now when death occurs, we see many people stripping their body of its' nutrients, Wash the blood out and down the drain, pump in chemicals to delay decomposition, Then we put this body in a sealed casket followed with a vault, Wanna piss off mother nature, hold your body back from her retaking of it. This is not a nice thing to do.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

I had seen this somewhere and think it's a good idea. I plan to be cremated and don't really care what they do with the ashes but out to sea or under a tree would be fine - no landfills tho.

What a great idea!! Not only as an ecological concept but as a wonderful memorial to a loved one. I'm all for it!!!

With my luck, I would be cut down, turned into paper, and that paper would be imprinted with the mormon bible...hehe

Welcome to hell... lol

LOL

Sure, why not? TBH, almost everything is better than the idiotic, damaging practise most widely spread in the US to embalm the dead and soak them in poison that is damaging the environment.

I remember a much creepier version of this that didn't use cremated remains. I can see this selling much better, however, the tone of the product page seems so up beat it kinda made me laugh a bit. Made me think of a shamwow sort of presentation "call now and you can get a second free! That's right, bury 2 relatives for the price of one!!"

I prefer donating my body to science (probably a medical school).

I suggested that, but the scientists replied that if I did, they would contest the will.

Just to get the urn of my sister's husband out of the house will be patriotic. She is making it into a shrine is not a bar anymore. And I am a believer that this plane belongs to us the living. Nothing wrong with honor and memory of a loved one but boundaries are needed. I will bring the idea to her. Thanks for looking out. I myself want to be spread ashes in the Caribbean Sea. I was a sailor.

Yup, seen it, cool idea.
Another one is turning loved ones or pets into gemstones...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13816
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.