Agnostic.com

16 3

Do you think a religious person is more or less inclined to be racist/sexist/all around bigoted?

Most theists I personally know often have some bigotry packed away somewhere, usually racism and homophobia, but not all of them, and my non-theist friends usually lack these dispositions, or display them to a lesser extent. I want to know, is this a common experience?

• 30 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 3 votes
Chead5 4 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

unfortunately a lot of religions teach it or at the least it is in the texts that they hold true

this poll is too obvious

But can we construct an argument to convince them of it?

Almost all the Christians I know has some form of bigotry.

The reason why they are more inclined is because they have a concrete black and white vision of the world. Their perspective is that this concrete system enables them to achieve immortality. Racism and homophobia allow you to feel superior, to have the answers to everything, to be in favor with the sky daddy. It allows for territory and a justification of your prejudices.

With all the bible says about homosexuality and race it is not a good manual for the tolerance that nourishes equality.Religious people often think they've gone the extra mile as it were( going to church,weddings,saying prayers etc) and think their must be a moral payoff.This payoff often manifests itself by looking down on people who don't engage in those observations.

Mark Level 1 Oct 14, 2017

They have already been sucked in by one bad idea making it easier for others to creep in.

Well, they have clearly already been convinced that something as baseless in reality, and as horrible as religion is real and good... So why not racism, sexism and general bigotry...? Most people are easily swayed. The sheeple.

Cause its in there religion

Most religions seem to think their way is either the superior way or the only way. This leads to intolerance, to defining people as heathens, heretics, sinners, the "other." Certainly, some people have managed to get past that way of thinking to create religions or churches that are more tolerant and open, but I have found that in most case tolerance and religion tend to run in inverse proportions.

AmyU Level 2 Oct 14, 2017

Many christians hide their hate, racism, and bigotry behind the bible and religion. They twist passages around to support their hateful view. I don't know that religion has made them racist or homophobic, but they use it as an excuse to behave that way.

CS60 Level 7 Oct 13, 2017

At least where I live, there are proscribed values that go along with the Christian lifestyle, and in order to fit in, you must conform to them. People are raised that this is the way it is and don't examine those values because they carry so much social weight. So yes, bigotry and religion go hand in hand, at least in the Bible belt

I agree, I think most of it isn't necessarily religious, but just social standard that has been passed down through generations. Lot of cross over though lol. Why can't the social pressure be to just be nice to people? Lol

I claimed no affect and here's why religion itself doesn't make somebody a bigot that's a worldview separate from religion but I will say that generally speaking people that hold bigoted worldviews tend to be religious, I just don't hold the religion itself responsible

Very well put. I tend to agree that they are not directly related, but certain qualities just happen to be passed down to the next generation by persons who have those ideals, and in turn those ideals make it easier to justify themselves and each other. Basically, two distinct "I'm better than you" parties that happen to have a wide overlay lol.

God empowers them to do as they please because they are doing whatever they're doing in the name of god.

SamL Level 7 Oct 13, 2017

Of the religions I'm familiar with, the majority sustain their membership base by encouraging exclusion: Stay away from those [ atheist, homosexual, feminist, whatever ... ] sinners! Then their followers can feel more righteous and superior to those excluded.

We have a number of churches in our area that maintain the doctrine that people who have wealth/beauty are God's chosen, thus giving them a reason to disdain poorer/ugly/sick people. Not all members practice this - there are certainly good people who belong to church - but I've seen a lot of it.

From own experience, I have heard and seen this to be true. Most base it off of what they read out of the bible and even quote scriptures to prove their points. I do feel most of these people base their fears of not knowing the truth to be based off of religion and why they feel and think they way they do. Imo, it's pretty sad and pathetic.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.