Agnostic.com

6 2

One person I think (unnamed) on this site was saying that to be rich is somehow evil. If you have bad health, are you going to make others healthier by having bad health? No. If you are poor, are you going to make others rich by being poor? No. Some people think that because someone else is rich they are somehow taking limited resources from others? Is this a poverty mentality?

jwm03h 6 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I haven't thought about this for a long time, but I remember believing this as a child. I think it was my Catholic school upbringing. And my Dad was a union man. I dunno. It doesn't make sense to me now.

BUT, I do think some people hoard more resources than they need, as in the most recent tax bill. I believe that a nation's wealth should be distributed. Not equally, but in a way that benefits more people.

I don’t think that being rich is evil, it more depends on what means one takes to become rich. Also, the richer one is, the easier it is for them to grow their wealth. Capital in the 21st Century by Thomas Picketty is a good read.

Effort should always be rewarded and everyone should be able to get rich. Nobody, however, should be able to get rich through exploitation or avoid contributing their fair share to society. There is a balance. It has not been reached.

Being rich is not evil. Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are very good men who have done great things with much of their money. What is evil is greed -- the amassing of wealth and power for yourself only by any means possible.

To squirrel money away for no reason may possibly be evil as what f===ing good can it do sitting in a bank account. [ that's aimed at the really rich who would never bother with us anyway]

I knew someone with no survivors who had a huge stock portfolio and never spent a dime and had no will .The money went to the State of N.Y. hence the Tax payers

All I know is that I'm not broke. I'm neither rich nor poor. Evil does not exist in my world.

Hmm. How are you defining "evil"?

As an atheist, evil is a word for the religious to use.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13945
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.