Agnostic.com

9 1

War. Does it make a difference?

The question was inspired by an article I saw about WW1, which said that it was a global conflict which changed the world. But did it?

Is war ever justified and has a war ever changed anything that would not have happened anyway through more peaceful means?

I have always been a pacifist, but understood that sometimes war was justified, but now I wonder if it can ever be justified.

Uncorrugated 7 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The start of World War II by Nazi Germany and Japan was not justified. Standing up to those nations and their attempts to control most of the rest of the world was justified. The alternative would havbe been to live under an evil Nazi regime and/or under an exploitative Imperial Japanese empire.

War with Germany in WWII wasjustified.

A really tough question. War has unintended consequences. Had ww1 not been fought then The atmosphere that brought Hitler to power wouldn't have existed and ww2 wouldn't have occurred. So was ww1 justified knowing it lead to the conditions to bring about ww2?
What about the American Revolutionary War? Canada is independent from England and I don't recall them fighting a war of independence. Would independence have come to America anyway? IDK.

That was exactly my point.

Perhaps the way to end wars is to invade those countries we are afraid of with McDonalds and invest in their indusrty so that we become economically dependent on each other (Japan?).

I don't know either. Hence my originalpost.

War is economic stimulus. The top tier banks lend interest-laden money for war. These big banks love war.

Agreed - In fact, much of the UK's nuclear programme is funded by Russian banks and corporations - go figure that one out!

Gotta kill people to make more people. Elbow room. Resources. The rest of it is words and posturing.

I havent studied WW1 much but it seems like it expanded because of the complicated treaties in Europe.I am not sure exactly what it was supposed to be against or why they called it the war to end all wars. WHen it comes to guys and their antics like Hitler it is harder to defend a pacifist stance to me though I am aware that as a country we have turned a blind eye to other genocides

Leaders that chose to go to war either want to conquer for land and resources or they want to force their lifestyle on others. The ones who suffer the most are the ones who have no say but are used (killed, damaged) to gain an advantage.

War is about power, control, and dominance. It is never justified.

Necessity is the mother of invention and desperate times call for desperate measures. Would progress, innovations, and inventions be as they are today? If wars never happened, most likely products of destruction would not have been invented, progress would have been slower and that may have been a good thing.

Betty Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

War is horrible and best avoided, but in some circumstances there may be no choice. What would have happened, for example, if the world had no gone to war to remove Hitler and the Nazis from power? Sanctions wouldn't have worked because they controlled most of Europe and had everything they needed to keep going; diplomacy wouldn't have worked because you can't reason with fascists. It would only have been a matter of time before all of Europe fell and millions more people would have died in the concentration camps. The Nazis weren't that far off developing a nuclear weapon at the time the Third Reich was brought to an end either; it might not have been long before the USA was attacked and, perhaps, also placed under Hitler's rule.

In that situation, war was almost certainly both justified and the only option.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

After WW1, had the USA and France not tried to bankrupt Germany with huge reparations and sanctions and taken much of its industrial areas, then Hitler would never have risen to power. His political platform was about rebelling against this to make Germany great again.

How he rose to power and what he wanted to do for Germany is of little relevance: he was responsible for the murder of millions of people, and any method necessary to stop him was justified.

what did they mean when they said WW1 changed the world?

@irascible yes I can see it as a war that changed warfare

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13999
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.