Agnostic.com

27 7

LINK Why sexual desire is objectifying – and hence morally wrong | Aeon Ideas

Is it possible to have sex without objectification? Of course. Prostitutes do it all the time. So do many long-term couples. They have sex with people whom they do not desire. And with no desire, there is no objectification. Not even love can fix it. When the desire is high, when the sexual act is in full swing, my beloved is a piece of flesh. (Though love does lead to occasional cuddling, which is nice.)

I agree with Kant that sexual desire and objectification are inseparable, and a force that morality must reckon with. Sex is like any good dessert: delicious but with a price.

Personally, I'm looking to be objectified......lol

zblaze 7 July 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This concern about 'objectification' can go too far! What is often overlooked here is female desire. The only book in the Bible I consider worth reading is Solmon's Song, or The Song of Solomon, which contains passages of pure physical attraction, or lust--one of the so-called deadly sins. And these words of desire are spoken from both the male and female point of view.

He
“How beautiful you are and how pleasing, my love, with your delights! Your stature is like that of the palm, and your breasts like clusters of fruit. I said, ‘I will climb the palm tree; I will take hold of its fruit.’ May your breasts be like clusters of grapes on the vine, the fragrance of your breath like apples, and your mouth like the best wine.”
Song of Solomon 7:6-9 (NIV)

She
“My beloved is radiant and ruddy, outstanding among ten thousand. His head is purest gold; his hair is wavy and black as a raven. His eyes are like doves by the water streams, washed in milk, mounted like jewels. His cheeks are like beds of spice yielding perfume. His lips are like lilies dripping with myrrh. His arms are rods of gold set with topaz. His body is like polished ivory decorated with lapis lazuli. His legs are pillars of marble set on bases of pure gold. His appearance is like Lebanon, choice as its cedars. His mouth is sweetness itself; he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, this is my friend, daughters of Jerusalem."
Song of Solomon 5:10-16 (NIV)

Sure, we can just do it and some people prefer it that way. Most of us want more. The total immersion of two people together.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:140756
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.